Please help with my cash sale closing costs - details and numbers inside.

5 Replies

I'm closing on an $18,000 house in a week and they sent me the following as an estimate for closing. It seems too high based on what I have read here but I don't know what all to cut out.

Title Insurance plus Binder Fee - $74

Wood Infestation Report -           $100

Appraisal Fee (wtf)                       $425

Title Search Fee                           $175

Attorney Fee/Title Examination    $500-650

Deed Recording                           $57

State Tax                                     $82

Total is $1,562 which is much higher than the $500-$600 I see quoted around here. What can I cut besides the appraisal fee?

Thanks

All these fees seem inline with what we see every day. I think your only option is to shop for your attorney fee.

Appraisal is inline with the national average. Overall, it looks fair.

Looks inline with what I have been paying in North Carolina. Are you paying cash for the house? Do you need an appraisal for an $18,000 house? If you do a lot of business with your attorney, maybe he/she would knock off $100. That is what mine does. Good luck!

I usually pay around $900 or so for cash closings. We don't have a transfer tax here, so that helps. I'm assuming your are getting a loan if you are being required to have an appraisal. I've been told by lenders on properties that low they will go with tax value or just a BPO. 

Attorney fees are high. Shop around. $450 is reasonable.

Thanks for the answers guys. Looks like I can drop the appraisal from the list since I am paying cash. I complained about the attorney fee and they said the y would do it for $500. So my closing costs are now around $1,000 which is what you're saying is reasonable. Thanks again!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.