How to value of a business on a personal financial statement?

2 Replies

Hi Everyone!

Could you please tell me how I would value a business for a personal financial statement that I would be submitting to a bank for a commercial property loan? 

I own a photography studio.  I lease the space in a shopping strip plaza.  All the equipment in the business I own free and clear.  Common sense tells me to add up the value of the equipment.  But what figure should I use?  Purchase price, cost of replacement, or what its worth now - used? 

What about goodwill or the income or potential income in the years to come? 

This is my job full-time.  Not only do I get a w-2, I also get a K-1 at years end.

I would ask my CPA but I don't have one. And I doubt that I could find one to see me this weekend. (I'm submitting my financial statement on Monday).  

Please help.  Thank you in advance?

Call a business broker @Diem Tran  and see if he would bother listing it and how it is appraised. Different types of businesses are valued primarily on a multiple of the annual income with consideration for the property involved. As far as the bank caring about the value; don't think it will play any role. The banks are looking for sustainable income with a history of income. Commercial lenders will want a sizable down and have tougher terms than you might be used to. Some commercial lenders will want to see a net worth equal to the loan amount.

are you applying for a loan then use cost of replacement, the highest price

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here