Conventional financing with short credit history

Conventional financing with short credit history

Real Estate Investor · Berkley, MI · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 14 votes

Hi All,

I've been in the states for about 3 years now, but have only really built up about a year and a half worth of credit. My credit score itself is excellent, and everything else, job history, income, reserves etc are A+, but because the history is so limited, the underwriters are unwilling to book my refinance loan at the moment.

I understand that if I was asking for a loan for a conventional owner occupier it's easier, but apparently they are more picky with investment properties.

Short of waiting for another year or two to build up some history, what are my options? 

0Reply
13 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 537 posts · 228 votes
    11y

    You can probably find private money sources in your area.

  • Real Estate Investor · Berkley, MI · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    The problem with private money sources is that they tend to be quite high interest rates and many properties won't cash flow with high rates. I did speak with a few people about this and I've found a few ways out which I'm investigating

    * You can adjust your credit history with additional trade lines.

    * I've heard there are other lenders who will provide short term loans that are amortized over 30yrs, but due in a shorter period of time with a big balloon payment.  So that would buy you the time required to build up a credit history.

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Hi @James De Silva 

    I don't see why you couldn't get approved at this point. You may just need to look at an investor friendly lender.

  • Lender · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 122 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    @James De Silva

     Are you implying by "refinance" that you already have a loan on the property or did you purchase it all cash? Generally, if you have high scores and established trade lines, then you should be able to get financing.  Usually the income has to be at least 2 years. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Berkley, MI · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Trevarthen

    I purchased it all cash. I have high scores (730+), but my tradelines are only a year and a half old. My primary source of income is my job and I've been there for a long time.

  • Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    11y
    Have you thought about partnering with someone who has more established credit?
  • Specialist · Kenner, LA · Member since 2014 · 289 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    @James De Silva

    I have a couple questions...

    • What type of property is it?
    • What's the value? 
    • Is it being leased at the moment?
    • What's the current rate and balance on the loan?
  • Real Estate Investor · Berkley, MI · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    @Copelon Kirklin

     It's a duplex, worth about 95k, both units fully leased. It was a cash deal so there is no loan on it...

  • Specialist · Kenner, LA · Member since 2014 · 289 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    @James De Silva

    Gotcha. Now I see where the difficulty lies. The current value of the property would make for a low loan amount. It's hard to get loans from banks for these low amounts. At that point, the low interest rates are gone. Your next option would be private money, which as you already know, is more expensive.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.