Anyone done business with Black Onyx Lending?

88 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am a new investor in the Kansas City area.  I am currently working to find the money to fund future deals.  I found a company called Seed Capital and they referred me to Black Onyx Lending to get a line of credit for the business.  Has anyone heard of or more importantly done business with Black Onyx Lending based in Michigan?  Any information you may have would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ijeoma

as long as you don't pay up front for anything other than an appraisal..

there seems to be some threads lately on vetting lenders... Having been a lender I never really thought of it that way.. As I looked at it the other way I have the money and some one wants to borrow it.  But having talked to a few BP folks about people that contact them from BP promising to do deals for them and then they flake out.. I think this is a ligit question.

First I would check if they have an NMLS license if they do that puts them up a notch to a big notch. Not all states require this mind you but many do.. and I see many non licensed companies advertising they will do fix and flip in Oregon and I know they are not licensed to do so but they still advertise they will lend here.

So licencing... is one.. web site is another if the info current etc.. but if I was looking for money in a certain market I would concentrate on locals... and start there .. you can atleast meet with them.

In the day I was lending I was the largest HML in Mississippi of all places but my offices were in Oregon.. so I can see how someone would wonder what the heck I was doing there.. I got all my business from closing attorney referrals... so you may want to talk to some title companies and closing attornies and ask them who actually closes deals. they don't have to give specfics but they can say if they are doing any volume

I checked out their website, they appear to be a commercial loan broker.  I would agree, with Jay, just make sure there is no money requested up front. 

Thank you both. I appreciate the information you have provided. 

I'm not sure if this post went through already, so it might go twice.  This is a late reply to your question, but I have only yesterday researched this company a little.  Google John Albert Sims (Cascade Township) and you will find all you need to know.  Felonies, scams, jail time, etc.  He is the self-described owner of Black Onyx Lending.

This post has been removed.

Yes i would have to agree, Black Onyx is nothing more than a broker and a bad one at that. One major red flag as jay mentioned - if someone asks for upfront fees, " RUN"

Hilarious. The above post saying "Google John Sims" => crook with the following post from Jon Sims acting like its not his company. 

I called all of the references for Black Onyx.  Every reference was solid.  No problems.  This is a legitimate, reputable lending business.

Updated 6 months ago

Please disregard my previous post. As their references are solid, they have not closed any loans that we brought to them. Do not give them money upfront.

I found these references on Yelp:

• Barbara A.
  • Chicago, IL
  • 0 friends
  • 1 review
5.0 star rating12/6/2016

I have worked with Black Onyx on several lucrative commercial real estate deals. They are professional, timely and had an answer for all of my questions. Very knowledgeable staff and I recommend them to all my colleagues in the business!

• Miriam M.
  • Bakersfield, CA
  • 0 friends
  • 2 reviews
4.0 star rating12/5/2016

Black Onyx Lending Firm helped me with my start up business financing. In less than 60 days I was open for business!
The professional, knowledgeable staff helped me every step of the way. Thank you!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.