Refinancing dilemma (blanket loan?) - help!

Refinancing dilemma (blanket loan?) - help!

Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 137 votes

Hi everybody! So I'm facing a bit of a dilemma about refinancing some properties and am hoping somebody might have some bright ideas. The situation is this. There are two properties I want to refinance, both in Indianapolis, both duplexes. The value of one is about $60k and the value of the other is about $120k. For various reasons, I need to either purchase these from a partnership in which I currently own them with another person, or I need to sell, but I'd rather keep the properties. I am self-employed and won't qualify for a normal bank loan. In addition, the second property has a detached third unit, and due to an obscure regulation, Fannie Mae won't lend on it. I've found some lenders who work with rental properties based only on the income of the property, not the borrower's debt-to-income ratio, but they basically do blanket loans for multiple properties and their minimum value is higher than the combined value of these properties.

So on the one hand, I can't get a regular bank loan because I'm self-employed, and on the other hand, I can't get a blanket loan for investors because the property values are not high enough. Does anybody have any bright ideas about how I can pull this off? Any input appreciated.

0Reply
11 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Aiken, SC · Member since 2014 · 398 posts · 120 votes
    11y

    Write up a clear proposal on what you want to do with an over view of how the numbers look & your objectives.  Take that around to some of your local banks & credit unions.  I was getting frustrated with "blanket loans" & restriction from conforming loans ie loans that Fannie could purchase.  That may give you a good place to start, if that doesn't work, you could always look for another partner to help you out.

    Best of luck

  • Zionsville, IN · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Can you pm me the addresses?

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 137 votes
    11y

    Thanks, Jesse. Yes, at this point, I may shop around with a few more banks and credit unions, but that's proven difficult so far as well... To Mark: PM sent.

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Mike D. what you're talking about is a portfolio loan. That's not going to work for you. You can use a hard money lender but the rates are going to be pretty high. Your best bet would be to talk to a local community bank. Find someone that hold some of their own loans rather than selling them in to the secondary market like Fannie Mae.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.