Refi or HELOC if HOA is over rental requirement

3 Replies

Right now Fannie Mae has a rule about not backing a mortgage on a condo if the HOA has more then 50% of its units as rentals.

I have a rental property in this situation. There is lots of equity  (about $80,000) and I would love to cash-out refi or take a line of credit in order to fund a rehab project on another investment.

Anyone know of a lender who would either do a refinance or give a HELOC on my condo? So far its a no from SunTrust, Iberia, Fifth Third, TD, Wells Fargo, etc.

Originally posted by @Krista Roark :

Right now Fannie Mae has a rule about not backing a mortgage on a condo if the HOA has more then 50% of its units as rentals.

I have a rental property in this situation. There is lots of equity  (about $80,000) and I would love to cash-out refi or take a line of credit in order to fund a rehab project on another investment.

Anyone know of a lender who would either do a refinance or give a HELOC on my condo? So far its a no from SunTrust, Iberia, Fifth Third, TD, Wells Fargo, etc.

You'll need to connect with a smaller bank or local credit union.  When you call (it probably won't be advertised on their website), you want to ask if they do Portfolio Loans or Non-Warrantable Loans.

You may also be able to find Private Money that will do this as well.

I have run into this problem, there are a few lenders who do non-warrantable condos. try a google search. basic thing i can tell you is that as long as the ratio isnt to bad, 60/40 vs 90/10 and the loan amount is high enough 150K and up you should have no trouble. 

http://www.nonwarrantablecondoloans.net/

I know that we have a smaller bank in West Michigan  (Macatawa Bank) that does portfolio loans for special case situations. Each one is looked at individually. The interest rate was a little higher, but not bad.