Owner Occupied Property

4 Replies

I bought my first triplex owner occupied in Boston, MA and I currently live in it (I used Mass Housing). I bought my second triplex via partnership (investment property)in the same year. After the last winter, I realized that owning a house in Boston without a parking garage is a BIG MISTAKE. I live in a Not so nice neighborhood PLUS the snow that we get is just draining and I feel that I need a house with a garage. How hard is it to get a house (duplex or SF) that is owner occupied without having to put 20-25% down (as the bank may consider it as an investment property). I know FHA is probably my only option but would they even consider it? I am hearing different answers from different lenders but all I hear is that it's a long shot. Any advice?

@Georges Arnaout  If you truly going to live in the new property, then you can:
  • FHA: pro - Low down payment (3.5%), con - PMI that is with you for as long as you keep the loan + 1.75% mortgage insurance premium at closing
  • Piggy back loan: If you have the credit and income to support it then you can get a 80% primary loan + 10% Home Equity Loan or HELOC (some lenders will do 15%). So, you only need to come up with 10% down. pro - you can save money and pay off the HE/HELOC and you are done with it. con - you have to come up with 10% down.
  • Conventional with PMI: Put only 5% or 10% down and get a primary loan with PMI. pro - once you pay down the loan to an LTV of <=80% PMI goes away.

Good luck.

Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker 

@Upen Patel

Thank you for your response. My convos with bankers got me to conclude that I will be taking a big risk with FHA (although I DO want to live in it). The reason is that I already have 2 properties and it will be hard convincing FHA that I truly want it to live in it.

I will investigate the piggy back loan option more.

@Georges Arnaout

If you are a US military vet you can use a VA loan. That is probably the single best loan in existence.

NACA is another Mass Housing type organization. But you are going to have to bypass a "first time homeowner" portion. I'm not sure how strict that is, but it could be worth going to one of the meetings.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.