Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
Conventional loans on owner occupied multi-family property

Account Closed
  • Bakersfield, CA
Posted Aug 7 2015, 00:59

Has anyone used a residential conventional mortgage to purchase an owner occupied multi-family property without having prior experience as a land lord?

I'm going to purchase a multi family property in Q1 2016. Keep in mind, this is my first property so I'm currently renting, and I have no qualifying experience as a land lord. I know that through an FHA loan, I will be allowed to use 75% of the gross rents on the other units and apply it toward my qualifying income, without needing prior experience as a landlord. Regarding conventional loans, it seems to me that the typical thought is that you must have 2 years of experience as a land lord before you are able to use future rents as qualifying income. I've found that Fannie Mae DOES have conventional residential loan programs in which I can use expected future rents as qualifying income, without any prior experience as a land lord.

A little bit more about my situation so that you can see why I'm asking these questions in the first place, and perhaps you can provide some more insight:

I'm kind of eying 4 unit properties but also obviously open to anything smaller as long as the numbers work.  My goal is at least to effectively live rent free, but I will favor properties that can offer the best net cash flow (including the amount of rent I'm saving by living in my own building). In my area, this is very doable.  The only other criteria I have is that I will not sacrifice my current standard of living. The only way I would move into a lower-grade property is if the cash flow is sufficient enough to justify it to myself. This is where I bump into my problem.

The FHA maximum on a 4 unit property in my area is approximately 520,000. This means I will probably be looking for properties in the 550,000 to 600,000 range. Properties of this value in my area are mostly below my current standard of living. I would not live in 80% of the properties in this price range no matter what return I was getting. The other 20% could meet my standard of living, but the numbers don't work out as often or as well. If I found the perfect deal I could make this work, but based on the number of units sold in the area I desire, it may take a year or two for that to happen, and time is not something I want to waste.

The properties that I would like to live in AND have healthy cash flows seem to be in the 700,000 to 900,000 range. Conventional financing has loan limits above 800,000 for 4 units in my area. So why not go conventional and buy something I'm happy to live in? Many times it seems that my potential yields are greater on these more valuable properties anyway (I'm assuming due to the level of competition).

But what about using rents as qualifying income with no land lord experience? This is the big kicker because a large portion of my qualifying income needs to come from future gross rents. This will ultimately determine the type of mortgage I can use and what type of property I can buy. I know for sure that Fannie Mae has programs that allow this, so what am I missing? Is this as possible as it seems on the surface? There must be some obstacle that I'm missing because I cannot find anything about this online. Just pieces all over the place. Why is this? Maybe it's hard to find lenders willing to do this?

As you can see, I'm completely stuck. My next move is completely dependent upon what type of mortgage I can qualify for. Can anyone please give me some insight? Has anyone done this?

Thank you in advance

Loading replies...