• Thousand Oaks, CA
Votes |
One year later, the story so far...

Benjamin Winokur
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Thousand Oaks, CA
Posted Sep 21 2015, 11:03

Greetings fellow BP'ers!

It's hard to imagine that I got started in RE just a few short years ago. So much has changed in the market, economy, and even my life!

When I first started out I really had no idea what to think, what to do, or where to start...

Today, I just finished my third investment as a private lender for a rehabber (earning 12.5% interest) and I have a fix and flip in the works (thanks to a great team I've been lucky enough to align myself with over the past year) which looks to be finishing up in the coming months. It was initially supposed to be a buy and hold (rental) but after going over the rehab estimate due to some extremely unfortunate and unforeseen issues, it will be a straight flip.

The beginning of this journey definitely hasn't been all fun and games though. In the beginning I made a rookie mistake and trusted the wrong people. That mistake ended up costing me close to $10k in seed capital when it was all said and done. The worst part is that put my trust in, and believed in this person...in that time, I fear that I may have talked others into making the same mistake that I did. 

To those who are new, please take heed. There are those whom will take your money in exchange for some "service" or "access" to deals, knowledge, etc. 

My advice: Take your time, and learn on your own or with a verified professional whom has been recommended to you.  Keep your money for your deals, and even then, be careful and shrewd with your investments. 

I'm happy that things are finally moving the right direction for me after everything that has transpired, and now that I have the freedom of not working for anyone else, I'm looking forward to growing my business over the coming years.

Cheers everyone, and thanks for reading!

Loading replies...