Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Nich J.
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Thermostatically controlled heat in every room for 30 yr fixed??

Nich J.
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Oct 27 2016, 12:08

I bought a lakefront cabin and turned it into a short-term vacation rental. When i was working on the financing the underwriters at the bank, a large one, i use on my primary residence said they couldn't finance the property because it didn't have a thermostatically controlled heat source in every room...I worked with a local bank and got into a 3 year ARM.

The cabin is 600sq feet and has a living area, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom.  The main heat source is a propane wall furnace with a thermostate that heats the whole place no problem.

The place was meant to be a 3-season cabin and I've done a bunch of work to it to make it more livable year round.  New roof, new ceiling, upgraded appliances, spray foam insulation in the crawlspace, added a heater to the crawl space etc... 

I want to eventually refinance into a 30yr fixed, considering under a business entity for liability reasons.

My question is did they pass on the financing because it was a 3-season house at the time or is there really some rule about thermostatically controlled heat sources?

Is it as easy as adding an electric baseboard heater and now i can qualify for conventional financing.

Let me know if anyone has any expertise in this stuff

Thanks

Nich

Loading replies...