Votes
Andrew Lapham
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
General advice on a financing plan for first deal/Interest rates

Andrew Lapham
  • Longmont, CO
Posted Mar 15 2017, 08:29

I am a complete REI newbie looking to gain some knowledge on the financing side of a potential first deal. I was looking for some advice on the following financing plan, plus have what I am sure will turn out to be a very simple answer to an interest rate question on loans.

Plan: Borrow the complete purchase price of a SFR or MFR (under 200k) from family and friends. Structure the family loan with an attractive interest rate (family special, hopefully around 6%) and a repayment period of 13 months. After the property has shown a positive rental cash flow and a great new ARV, refinance at 12 months with a conventional lender on a 30-year loan for 70% to 80% of the new ARV, paying back family and friends and pulling out whatever profits are left for the down payment on the second investment property. The BRRR strategy I have read so much about.

Questions/Concerns:

• If 200k is borrowed from family how would the hypothetical 6% interest be calculated?  For example, could the 200k be divided by 360 payments (30 years x 12 months = 360 payments / around $550 a month) plus 12k divided by 360 (6% of 200K / around $30 a month) for a monthly payment of around $580 be the structure of the loan? Again, I am sure this a really basic question and I am also sure that these are really attractive lending options that aren't really realistic, but I am just looking to better understand the process.
  • Any suggestions or templates on how to write out a lending contract with family and friends?  I know that borrowing from family can be extremely tumultuous if the things go wrong and want to cross my t's and dot my i's.  Any great lessons learned from family and friends lending?
  • Will a conventional lender refinance on numbers that look roughly like this? I know this is pretty general and fully depends on the new ARV, but what are some potential hiccups with this plan? Our current family DTI is around 28%, solely from the current mortgage on our primary residence. We have no other debt, but I am worried that a lender will think we are over leveraged and we won't be able to refinance.

This is my general plan with lots of future knowledge to be gained before the deal.  I truly appreciate any advice, knowledge or harsh criticism on the plan.  Thank you for your time and I look forward to the discussion.  

Best Regards,

Andrew

Loading replies...