Any better options then fha loan to do a house hack

11 Replies

I spoke with a td lender and he's telling me he can get me a mortgage for 3% down and pay no mortgage insurance.

He said theirs no owner occupant issues has any body ever get offered sumthing better then a fha or is their stuff he's not telling me 

You might not be paying MI/PMI per se, but you're paying for it by way of a higher interest rate. It's called Lender-paid MI (LPMI.) Compare 2 or 3 lenders to see what your total costs and APR would be.

Ur saying theirs also a lender insurance that he failed to mention?

Carefully look over the fees associated with this "no PMI" loan. I was offered a similar loan and a competing lender explained to me how they do it. Traditional PMI can be removed once 20% principal is reached. The "no PMI" loan pays an insurance fee over the life of the loan, once 20% is reached the PMI goes away for the lender and the insurance fee money goes right into the lenders pocket. This was the quick and dirty explanation that I was given, I have not verified it as I did not used the "no PMI" loan so verify.

Originally posted by @Chris Breezy :

@Michael Cohen I was told I can get 3.6 percent compared to fha which would around 4.0

There's no way your interest rate is going to be 3.6% nowadays. Or even 4%. For a 30yr fixed 3.5% down multiunit (assuming 740+ credit) you're looking at around 4.5% to 4.75% depending on the market when you lock.  If you're score is less than 740, assume a higher interest rate.   The only way to get interest-rate anywhere near that point right now for what you're looking to do, is to pay a lot in points. Have you seen any sort of closing cost estimate?

I don't know the whole situation,  and it's possible there was just some simple miscommunication, but I'm concerned over what you're saying. I strongly urge you to connect with a few other lenders. 

Originally posted by @Chris Breezy :

Ur saying theirs also a lender insurance that he failed to mention?

Lender – paid, meaning they're paying the MI on your behalf and then charging you a higher interest rate in exchange for doing so. 

I am in the process of going through a FHA loan myself and things you must know is: if you get any kind of mortgage that your putting less then 20% down, YOU WILL have some sort of PMI or mortgage insurance.

@chris breezy

@Chris Breezy , Join the military and earn access to the VA loan. As they guys above have said though, there in no such thing as a free lunch.

Just got quoted a 30yr fixed loan today @ 5% down, no pmi, no points, 4.125%, $1200 loan costs @300k purchase price.

I'll leave it to you to decide if that's better than an FHA for your situation but there's some market context.

@Malick Guindo GuaranteedRate. Used them for a couple properties now and they've been fast, easy, & had good rates.

Not a huge NY presence (bought 1 NY property through them), bigger out in my area.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here