Thinking about using a hard money lender.

3 Replies

So I found a older gentlemen through a family member that he maybe interested in selling 2 all brick 4plexs. I called and briefly talked with him. Just curious on what he wanted and what rent was. I want to set an appointment up and go tour the place. From my understanding nothing has been updated. Well he is asking 400,000 and rent is 600 a month across the board. Thinking a bit high. I haven't found out expenses yet.

I was toying with a hard money lender. Never have used a hard money lander. Right now I am just finishing a full remod on a duplex we bought last year. Tenants move in that next month. I didn't think he was ready yet, so this kind of came quick. He hasn't talked with a realtor yet so might be able to slide in there.

I haven't run any numbers yet. Was calling on garbage and water tomorrow.

@Chris Sukala , well, 8x $600/m gross rent meets a "1% Rule" for the pair of quads. That is, so long as your rehab/holding costs are held to lower than $40k for each quad. But given their "nothing has been updated" status, what are the odds of that? [Not that the "1% Rule" should be seen as a useful indicator for that location! Is it usually higher, or lower?]

As usual, you need to get a handle on the nearby sold comps. Is $50k per door considered an absolute bargain, given the amount of work you'll likely need to get done as well?

Is $600/m rent less than what you should be able to get per door?

What makes you believe that $400k is too high for an asking price?

Before you proceed with a HML, do you know how you'd refinance it, soon after?

So many questions, so little information. (But thanks for asking). All the best...

In regards to not having used a hard money lender before: Figure out the as-is value, if you are rehabbing, how much for rehab and the ARV. Present those values along with your plan to a HML and that should be enough to get pricing.

Brent was right about having a solid exit strategy, but a good HML will have options for you based on the information they collected. If you had a 400 credit score and are relying on a bank loan to refinance, the HML does understand that you won't be able to get out of their loan via that route... alternatively, if you have a 750 credit score and healthy assets, refinancing shouldn't really be a tough sell. Let me know if you have any specific questions about dealing with HML's and, with the information above, how it would be likely structured.

This post has been removed.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.