Newbie Question: 2 year landlord experience for commercial?

1 Reply

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere. I couldn't find it. It is my understanding that Fanny and Freddie require 2 years of landlording experience to count future rents towards qualifying for a residential mortgage. Please correct me if I am wrong. My question is does this also apply to a loan on something with 5+ units? My wife and I are planning to sell our house (We paid too much. It won't cash flow as a rental) to get started. We would like to purchase a rental first before getting another house for us. We will likely only qualify for one mortgage, so I am exploring what options we may have during the first 2 years of getting some landlording experience. I have my eye on an 8 unit that we can afford and will make a nice cash flow. It would be nice to get into that, and a more reasonably priced house without having to wait 2 years. Thanks in advance for the help.
Originally posted by @Jeff Goff :
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere. I couldn't find it. It is my understanding that Fanny and Freddie require 2 years of landlording experience to count future rents towards qualifying for a residential mortgage. Please correct me if I am wrong. .

That's actually an overlay. :)

You can even be a first-time homebuyer and count the rental income if it's just a vanilla Fannie loan. 

Not all lenders are investor friendly. Dial for dollars until you find one that is. Good luck!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here