Increase HELOC or Cash?

Increase HELOC or Cash?

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 25 votes

I have an opportunity to pay off my mortgage by the end of the calendar  year.  At the same time I have been waiting for this opportunity to make my first real estate investment. I figure these are my two choices:

1. pay off my own mortgage and increase my current heloc to make my first REI

2. Pay off 90% of my current mortgage leaving 10% of available cash for REI

3. Unless there are other options im not aware of

 I shouldnt be laughing but is this a first world problem?

2Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 83 votes
8y

@Account Closed

#3 - other options. I have a totally different approach for you to consider - refi your house, pull out 75%, and use that for your next REI purchase(s). This may be counter-intuitive to how most of us were raised (pay off your mortgage as soon as possible) but it actually makes sense. Think about this:

- Interest rates are still low, you can probably find a refi around 3.75%

- leaving 25% in equity will avoid mortgage insurance

- 3.75% on an owner-occupied primary home mortgage is less interest than you will pay for a HELOC

- you'll now have a bunch of cash available for multiple REI's, for rehabs, etc

- leaving equity in your house is not earning you money - at the minimum, you could even park it in mutual funds and make 7-8%. Less 3.75-4% on the loan earns you 3-4%. REI can net you even more.

Just another approach to consider. 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed I would talk to your banker and get the increase in your HELOC (or second HELOC) with the stipulation that you'll pay off your mortgage. You're HELOC is as good as cash and you'll avoid paying interest when you are not using it.

  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    8y

    first will be good option because you can use money when you need it. 

  • Contractor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    My opinions are controversial, and alot of people think I'm wrong with that said you should sell your house now is the time to get out of Illinois with all the tax increases and employment leaving the window of opportunity is narrowing. When you sell your house and your money is liquid move to a state where taxes are low and invest in fix and flipping, now is the time to flip with the uptick in real estate pricing. Use debt to make money and stash your money to the side, once this bubble pops (I give it 5 years) then take all this stashed money and obtain buy and holds, once the market improves sell the inventory and then repeat to you die you will be a rich man.
  • Contractor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Never use a heloc, if your investment goes bunk you could lose your house. Instead start a llc and take a business line of credit.
  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Try to maximize both. They will both be useful!

    Talk to your lender about what home purchase you are looking to make in the future. They can advise on how to structure your debt and equities to maximize loan potential.

    I personally wouldn't pay the current house off and take the maximum of both options. Your mortgage is a SMALL price to pay for liquidity.

  • Real Estate Agent · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 259 posts · 293 votes
    8y

    HELOC!!! Who doesn't like cash when they need it?

    That being said, I'm not against @Ian Voakes's idea of a line of credit on a business because you turned it into an LLC. I like the layer of protection you get from an LLC. @Account Closed maybe you could do both the HELOC and a line of credit on an LLC...? experts....? Can you tell I'm a fan of being able to get cash when you want it?

  • Contractor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Kristina Heimstaedt I could see your point about HELOC to get cash fast, I just saw a client pull a heloc out to buy bitcoin, and another to buy furniture (crazy). For a seasoned real estate pro its not a bad idea to us heloc for short term cash flow to keep a project afloat, but for someone who is a part time investor or just getting into the game it could be a nightmare. I think rich dad poor dad brain washed me here's a quote:

     ''Traditionally, when housing prices rise, so do home equity loans. People use their house as an ATM, assuming it is an asset that will always rise in value. And they quickly forget that’s not true."says Robert Kyioski

    They also say "it will never go down" 

    The reality is if the investment they used equity on goes bust, they lose their job and/or there is a major correction on home values then the investor could face foreclosure, and/ or a huge financial loss. 

    History repeats itself, and I have seen many people get their heads cut off during the last recession using this same scenario as the poster

  • Real Estate Agent · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 259 posts · 293 votes
    8y

    @Ian Voakes you're right in that maybe I'm an optimist to assume that people will do smart things with their money. I have that conversation every day with clients when making purchases. 

    I completely agree that purchasing a boat using your HELOC is about as bad as a sub prime mortgage if not worse. My theory is more that if you can use your HELOC which has a hypothetical interest rate of 5% to purchase an income property that produces an ROI of 7%, how pissed would you be if you didn't have a HELOC nor the cash to make things work? I would never advise someone to use that same HELOC to make a purchase with an ROI of 4% because as far as I'm concerned, that puts you in the red.

    However, I think it is a complete failure that more people aren't well educated or don't seek education related to finances. I understand that it is difficult to navigate when things change constantly. Let's face it though, we're here to make money and achieve financial independence. Being educated in how to leverage properly is typically part of that equation. I had the conversation today that my job as an agent is more about providing my clients with knowledge and an education for them to make the right decision for themselves. For most people who don't come from a lot of money, to me, it's important that people know what tools are at their disposal to achieve their goals whatever those might be. I think people should not only educate themselves, but I hope that they will also be wise and not repeat history. But it's not my money.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Ian Voakes If people buy furniture with a HELOC the problem is with the person, not the instrument. If Mike is able to save a substantial sum of cash he doesn't sound like someone who would be tempted to use the HELOC for consumer purchases or speculative investments. He sounds like someone who would use it to make sound investments. In that case, it makes much more sense to pay off the mortgage because it will save money on interest until is a drawn back out of the HELOC.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed the new tax plan is about to be signed into law. It will greatly increase the standard deduction, making it very unlikely you will be itemizing and taking any deduction for your home mortgage interest. If the HELOC is only used for purchasing rental properties, you should be able to claim that interest as a deduction against your rental property. There was also some debate early on in the tax bill about whether a HELOC would be restricted as far as what you could use the money for and still claim deductions. I am not sure if any of that made it into the final bill.

    Talk to an accountant familiar with the tax bill to chart the best path.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kristina Heimstaedt:

    HELOC!!! Who doesn't like cash when they need it?

    That being said, I'm not against @Ian Voakes's idea of a line of credit on a business because you turned it into an LLC. I like the layer of protection you get from an LLC. @Account Closed maybe you could do both the HELOC and a line of credit on an LLC...? experts....? Can you tell I'm a fan of being able to get cash when you want it?

    Do you think someone starting out in real estate could start an LLC and get a large enough unsecured line of credit to buy rental properties? Although theoretically great, is it really likely a bank will agree to this?

  • Real Estate Agent · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 259 posts · 293 votes
    8y

    @Joe Splitrock that was my exact concern. However, it's not my side of the industry so I'd say that I'm hopeful, but have low expectations. I'm sure it also depends on where you're purchasing property. 

  • Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 83 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    #3 - other options. I have a totally different approach for you to consider - refi your house, pull out 75%, and use that for your next REI purchase(s). This may be counter-intuitive to how most of us were raised (pay off your mortgage as soon as possible) but it actually makes sense. Think about this:

    - Interest rates are still low, you can probably find a refi around 3.75%

    - leaving 25% in equity will avoid mortgage insurance

    - 3.75% on an owner-occupied primary home mortgage is less interest than you will pay for a HELOC

    - you'll now have a bunch of cash available for multiple REI's, for rehabs, etc

    - leaving equity in your house is not earning you money - at the minimum, you could even park it in mutual funds and make 7-8%. Less 3.75-4% on the loan earns you 3-4%. REI can net you even more.

    Just another approach to consider. 

  • Contractor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Tandi H. This is kind of what I was saying, use debt to make money. Putting money in a hole in the ground isn't a good investment.

    @Joe Splitrock If he sells his house and turns it liquid he could put it into a LLC Checking account and use that for collateral on a Business line of credit. Real Estate is always a risk but this would minimize his risk.

    @Larry Turowski I'm not sure of his character and I'm sure he is of good character, my point is no matter what you take a heloc loan out there will be corrections in the market, one correction and the heloc will be taken away in a heartbeat. Instead of using personal houses as a atm, start a business and do it for the long term just like all other businesses do it. Its up to the investor and these days I sound crazy I get it, 9 years ago I was a genius with this viewpoint nowadays I'm a moron in the future when it tanks I'll be a genius and then the market will improve again and then I'll be a moron again LOL.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    @Tandi H.

    That's actually my plan of action. Once I pay off mortgage (hopefully by first week of January) I will ask current bank to increase my current heloc to not only get a larger available amount but a better rate as well.

  • Flipper · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    Cash is KING, don't ever use it. 

    How do you think you will pay off your HELOC when the number goes from 4.50 to 8 in the next 2 years?

    All the HELOC's increased by 25 basis points 4 days ago, and the market is predicting another 4 increases by the end of 2018.

  • Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 83 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed is saying the same thing - a HELOC is not a fixed rate and is not predictable like a refi.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tandi H.:

    @Account Closed

    I don't think you understand - a HELOC is not your equity, a HELOC is a loan against your property. What I'm saying is to refi a fixed 30 year loan on the property, and put that cash in your pocket. I think @Brenda Wright is saying the same thing - a HELOC is not a fixed rate and is not predictable like a refi.

     I agree.

  • Contractor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    This thread has gone around in a circle, people are going to do what they are going to do.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ian Voakes:

    This thread has gone around in a circle, people are going to do what they are going to do.

    Im not leaving Chicago. Im one of those Chicago Public School teachers that everyone in Illinois loves to hate, plus my family and kids are here so I wont be going anywhere anytime soon. 

    All I want to do is make some sound real estate investments to supplement my income when i retire (early at that). I would also like to teach my kids that same sound financial advice in real time. Basically to avoid everything that my parents made me learn the hard way. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    Thanks for all your post

    I see both ends of the argument 

  • Contractor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Mike Olszewski 

    Leaving the state is just personal preference.

    Helocs from what I have seen was one of the top causes of the housing crisis in 2007.

    The road I went down ten years ago, getting my head cut off, is what I'm trying  to prevent you from experience the same hardships I went through.

    What I have been sayin on this thread isn't an awnser people like to hear but it's the truth that's all.

    Whatever you decide to do its your money and your properties, nothing but good fortune and good times is all I wish you, merry Christmas.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed point, the immobile equity sitting in your house is of course not doing anything for you expect that the bank now has all that equity and they are investing it in all kinds of assets. 

    Tactically, you can start scanning your local market for someone to partner with, someone who you can leverage their track record to scale your REI activities. In the interim, start the shopping around for a good REFi product with a great interest rate amortized over 30 years.

    Another thing I'd like to touch on is folks continue to talk about a market correction sometime in the future. The truth is no one know when this "correction" is happening. Therefore, RE Investors should continue to invest conservatively as opposed to sitting on the sidelines being scared of a proverbial correction. 

    Hope this helps Mike. Good luck. Thanks! - Ola   

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 53 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed Not to go around in another circle, but if I were you, I'd take the option a few on here already mentioned and that would be to cash out refinance your current home and use that money to purchase an investment property.  The home equity line of credit is good for short term investments.  Flips, renovations, etc.  But if you want to buy a long term hold, like a 2nd single family home to rent out, or a 3 flat for example, heloc is not a good idea.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Marcin Talaga:

    @Account Closed Not to go around in another circle, but if I were you, I'd take the option a few on here already mentioned and that would be to cash out refinance your current home and use that money to purchase an investment property.  The home equity line of credit is good for short term investments.  Flips, renovations, etc.  But if you want to buy a long term hold, like a 2nd single family home to rent out, or a 3 flat for example, heloc is not a good idea.  

    Actually planning on doing both: flip and eventually  buy and holds

    This is probably another topic but what if i want to do  both?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.