Owner-Occupied and Investor loans

7 Replies

Is there a loan I can go with that would allow me to buy a property  solely for investment?- for example, would putting 20% down allow me to go ahead and rent out that property? Instead of owner occupied for a year. 

Thanks! 

@Emma Kellenberger yes there are loans for investment properties. Typically you need 25% down and the interest rate is slightly higher. Most lenders will not include the rental income and/or some will include 75% - question to ask them

Emma Kellenberger You need 15% down payment for 1 unit and 25% for 2-4 units under conventional loan or investment property. 

Absolutely there is. There is FHA for owner-occupied investments, where you live in one unit and rent the rest, regular Investment property loans, and Fix-N Flip loans. And each of those has a rehab counterpart loan. There are plenty who will do 80% LTV, right now you are probably looking at 5.8-6.5% if you have good credit. Also DCSR must be positive 1.0+, preferably 1.25+. Best,

Thanks everyone! I am currently looking at a single family home located near Fort Bragg, NC. If I can I'd like to purchase and do quick a face lift and rent it out right away. We have the option of going with a VA loan. Recommend going with that loan?

@Emma Kellenberger you can go VA you must be an owner occupant. I suggest either purchasing a duplex to quadplex with your VA loan. Or purchase a SFH that would work as a rental assuming you were to rent it out at the current expense #s vs likely rates; include property management as well. Then when you PCS from Ft Bragg you can turn it over to PM and use it as a rental.

I have known several NCOs and Officers that purchased a SFH at each of their duty stations; handed them over to PM and finished their 20 years with two sources of passive income.

Highly suggest you look at the southern pines area if there are any deals; that is where you find the majority of the higher BAH earners going.

Airborne!!!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here