Votes
Andrew F.
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Down Payment Requirements for Non-Primary 1-4 unit loans

Andrew F.
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Jul 8 2018, 19:26

I'm just starting out as a REI, and looking for some advice and insight as to the best approach for down payment requirements within various scenarios.

I've talked with a handful of local banks and mortgage brokers so far, and they've all indicated the same general numbers. Since I already own my primary home, and not looking to "house-hack," I am required to put down the following:

• SFH = 20% minimum (or 15% + PMI)
  • 2-4 units = 25% minimum

If I work through the commercial group within a local bank, they're willing to do 20% down on any 1-4 unit, plus potentially provide a small rehab budget. Unfortunately, they don't offer anything more than 20-year loans, as opposed to the 30-year in conventional residential, which makes my cash flow calculations a little tougher to hit. 

So my question is, are there any lenders who would fall outside of these standards on the residential mortgage side and have lesser requirements for an investment property down payment? Or is this going to be the exact same with every lender, regardless of size, location, etc? 

Thanks!

Loading replies...