Credit union for home equity loan?

7 Replies

Do any of you have a good credit union (easy to join) in regard to home equity loan or line of credit?  I've read that credit unions can offer lower mortgage rates than banks so I'm curious if you have suggestions on a good one. 

Originally posted by @Josh Lyons :

Do any of you have a good credit union (easy to join) in regard to home equity loan or line of credit?  I've read that credit unions can offer lower mortgage rates than banks so I'm curious if you have suggestions on a good one. 

Locally, Coastal Credit Union and State Employees Credit Union are good options.  I'm sure other CUs would also do fine.  Nationally, I've talked to PenFed and their HELOCs look very easy to apply for and they offer great rates.

EDIT: PenFed is easy to join online.  Just answer a question and set up a savings account with a $25 deposit.  If you aren't employed by one of their preferred employers, I believe you need an invite from a local member (family member most likely) to join CCU and SECU, but check with them to make sure my info isn't outdated.  I was able to get the son of a friend into CCU with a personal introduction at my local branch.

Originally posted by @Josh Lyons :

Thanks @Randy E., that's helpful. In your experience, how much better are the HELOC fees than a bank?

I can't answer precisely because I haven't taken out one with a bank yet.  Maybe soon. Best I can say is check.

I am in middle of using penfed right now.  Used them for my residence primary mortgage and doing a heloc on a rental to access some equity. Fees low, rate a little higher than I wanted and variable but not horrible.  So far been super easy to work with.  Should close next week if all goes well.

Penfed is the best! i personally used them for 1 home equity loan and 3 Helocs. i did all this within the last 2 years

they are by far the most lenient lender that doesn't make a fuss over every little thing... however they made a few changes to there lending rules in 2018 ,home equity loans (not helocs) will now need a HUD-1 statement , they started charging some closing fees...(prior to 2018 they would lend you the entire amount no b.s. deductibles ...good old days) 

the list is to long... there is a good reason why people are waiting 3 months to get a equity loan