• Lender
  • California
Votes |
Oh yeah, the "Due on Sale" clause is now LLC-friendly, sometimes

Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorPosted Sep 3 2018, 13:48

Totally meant to post this like a year ago. On page 292 of the document, which is page 309 of the PDF. That link is to the servicing guide for Fannie Mae loans that was updated on 11/8/2017, so the page number and information might not be accurate if you are reading this post too far in the future. I am posting this on 9/3/2018. FHA loans, Freddie Mac Loans, VA loans, jumbo loans, portfolio loans.... all of these are NOT Fannie Mae loans, so this isn't applicable to them.

Section D1-4.1, Information Relating to Transfers of Ownership Applicable to All Mortgage Loans
D1-4.1-01, Determining Whether a Transfer of Ownership Is Permitted (11/12/2014)
[...]
D1-4.1-02, Allowable Exemptions Due to the Type of Transfer

A transfer of the property [...] to [...] a limited liability company (LLC), provided that: the mortgage loan was purchased or scuritized by Fannie Mae on or after June 1, 2016, and the LLC is controlled by the original borrower or the original borrower owns a majority interest in the LLC, and if the transfer results in a permitted change of occupancy type to an investment property, such change does not violate the security instrument (for example, the 12 month occupancy requirement for a principal residence).

Note: The servicer must notify the borrower that a property transferred to an LLC must be transferred back to a natural person prior to any subsequent refinance application in order to meet Fannie Mae’s Selling Guide underwriting requirements.

Before anyone bombards me with questions, I'm not a loan servicer or a lawyer, I'm a loan originator. Post origination, I have minimal professional experience with servicing/legal stuff. I know exactly where a lot of minds are going, especially with that last bit in parenthesis, but I'd strongly suggest lawyering up to get an answer to your question. The above is Fannie Mae's own interpretation of the clauses in her own note and deed of trust that you sign at the closing table, laws/judges/etc of course trump Fannie Mae guidelines, this is just Fannie telling loan servicers what they are supposed to do for a loan that was originated as a Fannie Mae loan.

• Lender California (#1220177)

CommLoan Logo

Loading replies...