Christopher Pound
  • Greater Denver Area, CO
Votes |
Recasting a mortgage loan - question on strategy

Christopher Pound
  • Greater Denver Area, CO
Posted Mar 29 2019, 14:51

Hi everyone,

New investor here, relatively new poster, longtime lurker, lover of all things RE. I have a question about recasting of a mortgage loan, for any of you financing experts out there.

Acquired my first 2 rental properties last year, and the original plan was 1 property/year to start out. After running into some financial issues, looks like my 2019 purchase is my own primary residence. We're downscaling into a smaller home, which we picked up from another investor who got it as a foreclosure. It stank =) but we're really fixing it up nicely.

The plan is to hold 2 properties for a couple of months (mortgages on each) until the timing is perfect to sell our current primary residence which we'll put up starting sometime in April. Also gives us some time for rehab on the new one. To facilitate this, we got a mortgage loan that can be recasted. When we sell our current home a couple months from now, we'll put any profits into recasting the mortgage for our new property, with the idea of making the monthly payment as small as possible.

My question is this...

Any thoughts on getting a HELOC on the new property, using it to immediately pay down the mortgage loan on that property, then recasting that loan on a much lower total? I'm not very familiar with how recasting works, so I don't even know if we CAN recast it with a 2nd taken out on the property. My thought though is that with a much smaller monthly amortized amount on the first mortgage, we can pay down the HELOC pretty quickly then take advantage of lower monthly payments for the next couple of decades.

Whatcha think? And thanks for taking the time to read.

Loading replies...