Loan needed to revamp a commercial building / apartments

Loan needed to revamp a commercial building / apartments

Rental Property Investor · Boone, IA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 94 votes

This is likely a stupid question, but I’ve never done it before. I have a commercial building in a downtown area. I want to remodel it and add two apartments in usable space inside, as well as remodel an apartment I already have to use as an Air bnb (since another apartment in this building is doing so well as one).

I have a very good credit score, as well as considerable equity in the building as well as another house I own free and clear. The building is on a strange loan though- it was bought as a package deal with another house, so I’m not sure how that’s figured out.

Where do I start?

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 417 posts · 150 votes
7y

@Ryan Rush just sent you message

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 417 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Rush is the buiding mostly residential? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boone, IA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Dan Gamache it will be completely residential after I get done with it. Right now there is commercial space that I want to convert to two apartments.

  • Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 417 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Rush just sent you message

  • Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    First step would be to discuss with existing lender to see if they have a solution.  If not, you need to confirm whether or not they will allow a 2nd lien.  Some lenders will, some won't.  From here, you can decide which way to go.  Maybe a new lender who takes out the first and provides the necessary rehab funds, or maybe a 2nd lien lender or equity provider who will come in behind the existing first.

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 187 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    How long have you owned it? Ask the lender for a release and get a payoff number from them. At that point you need to make sure you're below 70% LTV for refi or cashout refi for new lender.

    Make sure new lender is okay with short term rents or willing to fund now based on potential rent.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.