I am buying a 3-unit house. Two apartments and one storefront commercial unit. I will be moving into one of the apartments and renting the other apartment and the store. I am using a streamline 203K to repair the roof. The mortgage originator says I MUST pay $500 for a HUD consultant to inspect the job and sign off on it. All this because of the commercial unit.

Do I have to use a HUD consultant or can he submit the loan application without a consultant?