Notary signing agent - dealing with signing agencies

2 Replies

Hi all!

I recently became a notary public and am excited to begin a side hustle in real estate loan signings. I have signed up with a few signing agencies (snapdocs and NNA). When I received my first appointment and reviewed the documents I realized that although I could explain the documents to the borrowers, I was unsure which documents in the refinance package needed notarization/acknowledgement.

I know every signature does not need to be notarized but how do I determine which do? I’m assuming there’s not an easy answer to this...

Thanks in advance!

John

Hi John!! I became a notary in August to do loan signings as well. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice, and your state laws may be different. So really make sure you know your state's notary laws. The NNA should have a handbook somewhere online that you can review.

That said, I had the same question when I started. The docs that need notarized will have a section that's referred to as the notorial certificate.  It won't be labeled as such on the docs, but there will always be a spot for the venue (state and county where you performed the notarization), date, name(s) of signer(s) who appeared before you, and notorial wording (definitely check your state laws on this... I live in CA and they are very specific about what wording is used, AND there needs to be a disclaimer box). The notorial wording usually looks something like the following for an acknowledgement:

"On this __ day of __________, 20__,  (name of signer) personally appeared before (your name, Notary Public) and proved to be the person whose name appears on this document and acknowledged that he/she signed this is her own capacity"

Then lines for your signature, sometimes date, commission number, and always a space for your stamp.

A Jurat will need to be signed in front of you, and is similar is wording to the acknowledgment, but will say something like "subscribed and sworn before me" in the certificate. 

I say this not to be rude or condescending, but you can get into legal trouble if you notarize something illegally.... so really make sure you know your state's notary laws before you head to a signing. You're a notary first and signing agent second.

Lastly, if you take the Loan signing System course, there is a list of hundreds of signing services you can sign up with. Snapdocs is a signing agent database, but numerous signing services use it to find notaries.

Sorry to write so much, hope its helpful!