How to find a good lending company in Lakeland

10 Replies

It looks like I will potentially be purchasing an investment property in Lakeland, Florida sometime in the near future. Can anyone give me advice on good questions to ask a loan company/bank/credit union to determine if they would be a good fit to build a long-term relationship with? Any particulars I should be looking for? Any deal breakers?

Moderator Note: Solicitation and Self-Promotion are not allowed in the forums. Your post WILL be removed.

No, the self promotion was the two lenders who promoted their services in response to your post.

@Dan Gamache I'm looking to get a conventional loan with 20% down and then BRRRR the property. I'm wanting to build a relationship with a loan officer who understands investment properties and this strategy but I'm trying to find out how to ask questions to determine which loan officers really understand the strategy and will work on my behalf.

Originally posted by @Brent T Galbreath :

It looks like I will potentially be purchasing an investment property in Lakeland, Florida sometime in the near future. Can anyone give me advice on good questions to ask a loan company/bank/credit union to determine if they would be a good fit to build a long-term relationship with? Any particulars I should be looking for? Any deal breakers?

What type property you looking at?  4 and less units or 5 and more?

if commercial style I’d just google and call. If you have a realtor they should be pointing you in a direction to start.  I’ve found google works wonders and everyone’s mileage will vary with how you talk to them.  

right now everyone and their brother is wanting to refinance so I'd start with ensuring you aren't kicking tires. Do some research online before calling someone. My guess is that every single underwriter is swamped with work and so they have to filter the people that aren't serious or that will qualify. Make sure you have your ducks in a row before calling.

I'd suggest checking with the smaller banks and mortgage brokers. I don't use banks for financing, but I've heard good things about MidFlorida, CenterState Bank, & Florida Mortgage Firm. I know people at them as well if you decide you want a contact message me and I'll help as I can. Best of luck!