How to Own a Million Dollar Home for $2,500 a month

How to Own a Million Dollar Home for $2,500 a month

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I am leasing to own an 8,200sqft Luxurious home that appraised at 1.2mil. The owner has decided that he needs to open up credit and sell the home. However, I can’t finance even the reduced price of $715,000. I make $84,000 a year and have a credit score of 715. I can’t afford anything over $2,500 per month. I really want this home badly. I am hoping there are a couple of geniuses here that can offer some ways I may be able to get this home and keep it at $2,500 per month. Please help my dreams come true and prevent me from Loosing what I’ve paid in to this. Our initial agreement was owner financing but the agreement had a clause for the owner to sell if I could not obtain a mortgage. I do have $35,000 in savings I could use as well. Any advice and ideas would be more than appreciated. 

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
6y

This is gonna sound mean but your only making 84k/yr then why do you need to live in a 8200sq foot house? Use the 35k you have saved as a down payment on a duplex or something. Cut your living expenses as low as you can man. 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Have you heard the saying "he's all hat and no cattle"?

    People that live within their means or better yet "below" their means have a better chance to attain financial independence.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Bob B.:

    Have you heard the saying "he's all hat and no cattle"?

    People that live within their means or better yet "below" their means have a better chance to attain financial independence. 

    Its simply mind boggling how cheap you can buy some of these trophy houses..  Far far below replacement value .

    this is a big money pit.. that kind of house will cost a ton to maintain and run and keep in good shape..

    unless your going to run it as a boarding house thats an idea might work in that regard.. and i got to think about that one.

    that could be a good HBU for some of these big white elephant houses you see in certain parts of the country.

    And i knew another guy that was turning these into senior homes.. those that are still able to walk and get out in a fire.. hire a few nurses to be there 24 7.. thats an idea too.  who would not want to live in a mansion  :)

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 313 votes
    6y

    I would repurpose this house and rent it out to drug rehabilitation company or something man.  hahaha sounds like a money pit situation as Jay mentioned. You're buying for far below what it actually costs to build the structure new.

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    6y

    This is gonna sound mean but your only making 84k/yr then why do you need to live in a 8200sq foot house? Use the 35k you have saved as a down payment on a duplex or something. Cut your living expenses as low as you can man. 

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    How much are the taxes and insurance?
  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 90 posts · 122 votes
    6y

    @John Price I would love to tell you that I have an idea, unfortunately I don't lol. This project may be a bit too steep, I would also agree with the above comments. It sounds like it could be a money pit for you.

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I live here with my wife, (owns her own business) can’t use her income in financing. Long story. I can and have maintained the property costs and maintenance no problem. My two sons 18 and 24 live here as well. 24 year can’t use his income because he is just getting back to work from getting shot by someone trying to rob him on the street. They want to stay as well. My 18 year old is just getting out of high school. They both would like to live here as well as there is enough room. I prefer no comments unless you have a possible solution. So many opinions can easily take this over and over shadow my initial question. 
    where there is a will there is a way. T&I is 8,000

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Plain and simple , no way . The numbers dont work . Never will . Even with $500K down $2500 a month wont do it . 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Price:

    I live here with my wife, (owns her own business) can’t use her income in financing. Long story. I can and have maintained the property costs and maintenance no problem. My two sons 18 and 24 live here as well. 24 year can’t use his income because he is just getting back to work from getting shot by someone trying to rob him on the street. They want to stay as well. My 18 year old is just getting out of high school. They both would like to live here as well as there is enough room. I prefer no comments unless you have a possible solution. So many opinions can easily take this over and over shadow my initial question. 
    where there is a will there is a way. T&I is 8,000

    OK so you already live there ??  gotcha   then its simply a math problem.. one were you don't have enough capital or income unless the owner finance's it and everyone chips in ??

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 242 posts · 126 votes
    6y

    A house that big you should be able to house hack.  Get some roommates and share the cost. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Figure out how much you need per month to afford the home and work backwards. Is it a single family or is there a small cottage on the property?  If that latter, you could do short term rentals in the main house and live in the cottage while the big house is rented.  Even at a 30 year mortgage and 3% interest, you're gong to need over $3K per month just for the mortgage.  This doesn't include maintenance, taxes, repairs, etc.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 130 votes
    6y

    Clearly the owner knew you wouldn't be able to get financing.

    Sorry, but you're throwing hail maries. This is a "dream" home that, even if you could somehow magically afford it, will inevitably turn into a nightmare. Guaranteeed.

    If you really want this house, the only realistic route to success is:

    1) Move someplace cheaper

    2) Save

    3) Increase your income

    4) Buy the house at full market value when you can actually afford it

    Short of that, I suppose you could always win the lottery or just put it on a credit card.

  • Rental Property Investor · Navarre, FL · Member since 2019 · 913 posts · 640 votes
    6y

    Sounds like you have squatters rights now. 

    Either house hack, increase your income or move to an affordable situation. I hope your wife is not pressuring you to find a way to pay for it like mine does. Those taxes are going to crush you.

    Do yourself a favor. Get an affordable property that will allow you to start investing in real estate (rentals, BRRRRs, flips, you name it). Then someone will be paying for you to build a far superior house. 

    Or wait for the crash that's about to happen.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    I work around these houses all the time , they are my bread and butter as a contractor . Repairs of $1000 a month are the norm . When its time to replace the heat pumps its 3 of them . New roof , there goes $38K . When its time to sell , you wait and wait and if lucky you break even . Those big homes have a limited buyer pool . 

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    6y

    Discover gold on property!

    get interest only loan for 2.5% percent

    pretty sure both are impossible, I'm sensing a theme.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I was thinking if anyone could think of something it be you fine folks. Oh, Well thanks anyway.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.