Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Herald
Votes |
Its time to move out... From the In Law's spare room! Hard Money?

Joshua Herald
Posted Jun 1 2020, 02:55

My wife and I sold our first home over a year ago. It was a 5 year rennovation that eventually eliminated every debt we had. I actually wrote an article about this journey titled. "My first flip paid off my student loans"
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/706157-my-first-flip-paid-off-my-student-loans

After selling, we decided to put the remaining money in savings and move in with the In Law's. Well that time is up. We have out stayed our welcome but we were able to save quite a bit of money in that time. 

We currently are negotiating with an out of state investor that has a home that needs a fair bit of work. 

Here is my question. We have cash to cover the purchase price and closing but thats about it. I know I can get hard money for the renovations. In its current form, it would not qualify for conventional lending.

I have a hard money lender that I worked with on my first deal but im curious if going through a hard-money lender needs to be disclosed on the offer. I see all of these "buy homes with other peoples money" articles all the time. They claim to buy your house with cash but its not theirs, do they disclose this? Im in ohio if that matters. 

My concern is using all of our nest egg at once. I want to use leverage and have at least half of our money for emergencies. 

If I go the hard money route, would I work with my guy, get the money and it show proof of funds in my account for my "Cash offer" to my Realtor?

Loading replies...