How Do I Refi A Rental To Pull Cash Out? Banks Not Helping

How Do I Refi A Rental To Pull Cash Out? Banks Not Helping

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

I purchased a single family home last fall 2019 using a HELOC from my primary home. The HELOC is the only lien I have on my primary. I have renovated the rental property and have had it rented since FEB 2020 Id like to tap into some of that equity of the rental home to buy another property but I keep getting told its not worth paying the closing costs by the bank to refi this rental.

HELOC is at 3.99% I'm applying almost all rent money into this to pay it off. Am I just not thinking the correct way with the refi or am I not using the right lender? I have went to Flagstar Bank & some other mortgage lenders in kzoo all seem to say its not worth a refi as the interest rate on a secondary is much higher than 3.99% I'm stuck with where to go. I don't like leaving the HELOC open on my primary either that seems risky. Id rather have a loan on that rental. Also I don't believe I can write interest off at tax time for a HELOC.

Thanks for any help

0Reply
20 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan XuPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2020 · 95 posts · 65 votes
    6y

    You CAN wright off HELOC interest if it was used for capital improvements to a home, as long as it falls within the home loan debt limit.

    For the problem of if that's worth or not. It all depends on your cash flow target and the next project plan. If you need to pull out the equity in order to purchase the next project, it may not seems worth it for the current project. But in the long run, it probably will generate a better result for your portfolio as a whole.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.