debt-to-income calculation when only one spouse is investing?

debt-to-income calculation when only one spouse is investing?

New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hello BiggerPockets! I'm new to investing and hoping someone can give insight on a financing question I can't seem to find the answer to.

My husband and I own a single family home in Boston, MA, and are both on the mortgage for the house (but were unmarried at the time of purchase last year), which is a conventional 30YF. I have been in conversation with a potential investment partner in Texas, a friend of mine who is single and does not hold a mortgage himself currently, about the two of us teaming up to buy a property there (either a single family home or a duplex most likely) to BRRRR. One scenario would be buying and rehabbing the property with cash, and then doing a cash-out refinance to recoup the capital, versus buying the house with financing and then doing a subsequent refi. In either scenario, my friend and I would either be applying for a loan together, or I would apply for it under my name only. My husband approves of this venture, but has no interest in being involved himself and would not want his name on any of the paperwork.

My question is: would a lender use the full amount of my current mortgage in calculating my debt-to-income ratio, or would they say that I am only responsible for half of it, since my husband's income also goes towards that loan? I am confused about how to get approved for a new loan by myself or with a business partner when my current debts and assets are shared by a spouse who will not be a part of the deal.

I can give more details if necessary but hopefully the basic question makes sense. Thanks in advance!

Sara

1Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Lien VuongBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

Very likely you're responsible to the entire mortgage because if something happened to your husband you would be liable for the entire debt of the home. One work around to the DTI issue is to go through commercial lending which would doesnt care about you as much as the actual performing asset.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lien VuongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Very likely you're responsible to the entire mortgage because if something happened to your husband you would be liable for the entire debt of the home. One work around to the DTI issue is to go through commercial lending which would doesnt care about you as much as the actual performing asset.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Sara Walters:

    Hello BiggerPockets! I'm new to investing and hoping someone can give insight on a financing question I can't seem to find the answer to.

    My husband and I own a single family home in Boston, MA, and are both on the mortgage for the house (but were unmarried at the time of purchase last year), which is a conventional 30YF. I have been in conversation with a potential investment partner in Texas, a friend of mine who is single and does not hold a mortgage himself currently, about the two of us teaming up to buy a property there (either a single family home or a duplex most likely) to BRRRR. One scenario would be buying and rehabbing the property with cash, and then doing a cash-out refinance to recoup the capital, versus buying the house with financing and then doing a subsequent refi. In either scenario, my friend and I would either be applying for a loan together, or I would apply for it under my name only. My husband approves of this venture, but has no interest in being involved himself and would not want his name on any of the paperwork.

    My question is: would a lender use the full amount of my current mortgage in calculating my debt-to-income ratio, or would they say that I am only responsible for half of it, since my husband's income also goes towards that loan? I am confused about how to get approved for a new loan by myself or with a business partner when my current debts and assets are shared by a spouse who will not be a part of the deal.

    I can give more details if necessary but hopefully the basic question makes sense. Thanks in advance!

    Sara

    I had a similar situation. Put the second property in an LLC and see if they will finance it that way.

    I know, I know. People here will tell you that you can't finance it in an LLC right off the bat. I thought that too but I got mine. First deal too with a partner. Brand new LLC and brand new loan. That way they know what they are dealing with at first. Your LLC gets credit rating and you get peace of mind.

    Don't think you need a high rating either. We had a 655 for my partner and a 740 for me. We did a commercial property so that may be different than a residential. Now the LLC has credit and we are on a roll.

    My partner is a good risk though. He was the way I once was. He paid cash like I did. Just make sure your partner is solid. 

  • Lender · dfw, TX · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 48 votes
    5y

    @Sara Walters You will be on the hook for the PITI of your home, at least for a non-commercial loan. If you go commercial lending you'll have a lot of options but you'll usually end up with other downsides as well. A couple things to consider would be to possibly move car debt, personal loans or cc debt over to your husband (assuming you aren't joint) to loosen up your DTI. Would be easy to add your husband and then you'll have additional income and the debt issue probably goes away but obviously if he wants nothing to do with it then you could just not involve him :) Depending on how you file taxes, it may still show up on the tax returns - so he may not be able to fully avoid being associated with it.

  • New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Lien Vuong, @Mike Reynolds, @Trevor Reed - thank you all for the insight, this is helpful! Our full PITI payment is about 24% of my gross monthly income (excluding my husband's income) so that doesn't leave too much of a margin for me to stay below the usual 28% front end DTI if I were the only one applying for a new second mortgage, but maybe it's still possible.

    Mike - the LLC is an interesting thought. Yes, I had always heard that it could be hard to finance a property outright with an LLC, so I'd always assumed it would have to be done in an individual's name first and then transferred to an LLC afterwards. Did your new LLC have to demonstrate a certain amount of cash in reserves? I wonder how the bank would know whether it's an acceptable risk to lend to a business that's not yet showing its own income.

    Trevor - luckily we don't have a car payment, CC debt, or personal loans in the mix, although I do have a student loan (in my name only), so I wouldn't be able to reassign that to him. Our tax status going forward will be married filing separately (for student loan purposes... complicated) so I have no idea whether that will prove more or less confusing at tax time next year. Another wrinkle is that I was debating whether it'd be a good idea to get a HELOC on our house as another source of capital, but would that also be factored into my DTI? Or is that only part of the equation if you draw on it and have a required monthly interest-only payment?

  • Lender · dfw, TX · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 48 votes
    5y

    @Sara Walters you can definitely use HELOC money but the debt service created by that will be counted against your DTI. To clarify, you only have a monthly payment if you pull money from your HELOC.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    As others said, full PITI counted against you.

    And if you go that 'partnership' route with that duplex you are thinking of, it'll be even worse on property number 3:

    - Full PITI of the primary counted against you.

    - Full PITI of the duplex counted against you.

    - I am guessing, based on having seen this before when people use 'partnership' mortgages to get their DTI to work in the Bay Area, your tax paperwork is going to say you only get half the rent.

    I of course have not seen your income paperwork, but that means on the next mortgage application you will at that point have all of that counted against your income, which may hurt the odds - a lot.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Sara Walters:

    @Lien Vuong, @Mike Reynolds, @Trevor Reed - thank you all for the insight, this is helpful! Our full PITI payment is about 24% of my gross monthly income (excluding my husband's income) so that doesn't leave too much of a margin for me to stay below the usual 28% front end DTI if I were the only one applying for a new second mortgage, but maybe it's still possible.

    Mike - the LLC is an interesting thought. Yes, I had always heard that it could be hard to finance a property outright with an LLC, so I'd always assumed it would have to be done in an individual's name first and then transferred to an LLC afterwards. Did your new LLC have to demonstrate a certain amount of cash in reserves? I wonder how the bank would know whether it's an acceptable risk to lend to a business that's not yet showing its own income.

    Trevor - luckily we don't have a car payment, CC debt, or personal loans in the mix, although I do have a student loan (in my name only), so I wouldn't be able to reassign that to him. Our tax status going forward will be married filing separately (for student loan purposes... complicated) so I have no idea whether that will prove more or less confusing at tax time next year. Another wrinkle is that I was debating whether it'd be a good idea to get a HELOC on our house as another source of capital, but would that also be factored into my DTI? Or is that only part of the equation if you draw on it and have a required monthly interest-only payment?

    They didn't specify an amount but they kept asking if I had reserves. I had them on the way by means of another refi that was taking forever and ever. In the end after the down payment I had around 10% of the purchase price in reserves. 

    i don't know much about the ins and outs of finance this is just what worked on this deal. I am more like a "don't know unless you ask" person. All they can do is say yes or no. I do like the fact that the new LLC is starting from day one with some kind of credit rating not solely tied to my and my partner.

  • Lender · dfw, TX · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 48 votes
    5y

    Reserves depend on the property count and increase as you have more properties (financed homes more specifically) in your name. As @Chris Mason mentioned you will now have the full duplex counted against you and your taxes will be used (usually after 1.5 years - you'll be using the leases prior to that) to determine income.  You certainly won't take the full hit of the duplex and will show income, but make sure the rents are very solid otherwise iit can get hard later to finance like others have said.

  • Lender · Winlock, WA · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 82 votes
    5y

    Another option not mentioned is going to the Non-QM side. There are two main options for you that will not care about DTI, Bank statement Loan and DSCR Loan.

    A Bank statement loan is used primarily for a self-employed and will require 12-24 months of business or personal bank statements. If it is personal bank statements then all deposits will be counted toward income whereas business bank statements will take only count 50% of deposits towards income. The disadvantages of this loan type is it will be a higher rate than a conventional, Minimum credit score allowed is a 660, 6 months of reserves, and a 80% max Loan-to-Value. These terms are based on what my company does and will vary from lender to lender.

    On a DSCR loan, rents of subject property must be 100%-115% of the mortgage payment. The max LTV to value will be 85% and will require 6-12 months of reserves. The minimum Credit score is 660. Since this is a Non-QM it will have higher rates than a Conventional. There will be variations of the terms above based on program and lender however these are the terms set by the Non-QM DSCR 1-4 unit that my company uses.

    Both of the above options will loan to a LLC with a personal guaranty.

    Best of Luck!

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 348 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    So when it comes to calculating your DTI they will indeed use the full amount of your mortgage including taxes and insurance. The reason for this is because even though you are both on the mortgage you are still responsible for the mortgage in the event that he is unable or unwilling to pay for it. It's similar to if you co-sign on a car loan. At that point you are saying that if they happen to fall behind you are going to set in and take full responsibility.

    If after talking to conventional lenders you are unable to qualify due to your DTI you can look into a DSCR loan. This would be similar but with less guidelines and a slightly higher rate. The DSCR loan will be based on your credit and the properties ability to generate enough rental income to cover the properties expenses (mortgage, taxes, insurance and HOA fees). This is a great alternative to conventional financing as it allows you to purchase without getting into your personal income, or taxes or any of that.

    Defiantly check to see if you can get a conventional loan first as that will be a better option. But if not just know that you do have options to refinance and hold the property as a rental.

  • New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Torrell Palmason 

    @Michael Glist 

    Thanks for the informative replies - I hadn't heard of Bank Statement Loans or DSCR Loans; are these just types of portfolio loans issued by individual banks? Can you get prequalified for a Bank Statement Loan the same way you'd do for a conventional loan, before you go looking for a property?

    I'd assume a DSCR loan wouldn't include a preapproval since you'd need to demonstrate the actual rental income amounts from a particular property in order to get it. My nagging worry would be that if we bought a place with cash and then somehow couldn't get it refinanced through any type of conventional or non-QM loan, all of the capital and equity would remain tied up in the property.

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 348 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    @Sara Walters So for a DSCR loan you can be pre-approved and can receive a pre-approval letter. The letter will just have a few additional stipulation such as verifying rental income and appraised value. The main thing during pre-approval on a DSCR loan we would look at would be credit to ensure it meets our criteria and there aren't any concerns such as recent foreclosure or judgements or tax liens. We would also be looking at assets. We would want to make sure that you have enough funds to cover the down payment, closing costs as well as 3-12 months worth or reserves. Also no financial crimes convictions on your record.

    As long as all of that is good you should not have a problem refinancing. The only thing that you may run into when refinancing is the seasoning period. Typically lenders like to make sure that you have owned the property for at least 6 months before they will allow you to refinance. So just take that into consideration when talking to lenders as well as when running your initial numbers to make sure that you account for a 6+ month holding period as opposed to 4 months or whatever it may be. 

    I hope this helps. If you need any clarification on anything I am happy to answer any questions. 

  • New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Chris Mason Got it. So let's say I can qualify in my own name for the investment property and it is cash-flow positive (obviously). As long as 75% of the rental income minus the PITI on the investment property is a positive number, I believe that would add money to my reported income without worsening my debt (since the rental PITI isn't double-counted). So that would improve my DTI with each new cash-flow-positive property acquired. Is that right?

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Sara Walters:

    @Chris Mason Got it. So let's say I can qualify in my own name for the investment property and it is cash-flow positive (obviously). As long as 75% of the rental income minus the PITI on the investment property is a positive number, I believe that would add money to my reported income without worsening my debt (since the rental PITI isn't double-counted). So that would improve my DTI with each new cash-flow-positive property acquired. Is that right?

     For that specific transaction wherein you are purchasing that duplex, yes that is the correct math.

    For properties you have owned a while that appear on tax returns, those tax return numbers are used b/c they are at that point more authoritative. 

  • Jonathan BombaciBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Lowell, MA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Lots of great answers here. Just to echo a few points. I was in a similar situation and left my W2 job for full time real estate so my paper income plummeted making any DTI calculation comical.

    We formed a LLC and bought positively cash flowing properties with a commercial lender that used the 1.25 DSCR calculation. They gave us preapproval and based the calculation on a 12 month proforma (not current rents). Since we ONLY buy properties that we can get to a 1.3 DSCR (more conservative than the bank) within 12 months, every property we buy improves are global DSCR making it even easier to get the next loan. We have about $5M of loans with the credit union now, 15 properties, and have become one of their best partners.

    Best,

    Jon

  • Warren LizoBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Sara Walters Having you or your spouse (one person) as the sole mortgagor on your primary residence is a good move IMO. It has worked well for us in different ways including DTI for real estate, tax reporting, and liability!

    PropertyCraft Management518 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.