Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
Account Closed
Votes |
1st position HELOC in Manhattan (primary residence)

Account Closed
Posted Sep 27 2021, 09:02

I'm in the early stages of my apartment buying journey and I hear a lot of talk about getting HELOCs for investment properties but very little for people looking to get a HELOC instead of a trad loan on a primary residence. I know it's possible in other states/cities but is anyone familiar with doing this in the Manhattan co-op/condo market?

Would I be considered an 'attractive" buyer if I had this loan type, or would someone with a traditional mortgage loan be considered more "attractive" to a seller (All things equal)? I know I can get approved for the same amount as I would've been with a traditional mortgage but I'm afraid that because its uncommon it will be "feared" by sellers. 

Lastly, how do I go about finding an agent familiar with this type of mortgage? I can only advocate for myself so much and I imagine I would need an agent familiar with helocs to help me in the process. Am I wrong in thinking this. 

Ultimately I'm trying to weigh if the juice is worth the squeeze. Yes a 1st position heloc would save me from having to get a trad mortgage(with a heloc in a more risky 2nd position) and take years off my mortgage payment, but if I can't even use it in this market, is it worth it? 

A little info about me to consider in your response...

• 1st time home buyer
    • Consistent & steady income
    • Zero debt currently (only debt would be the mortgage once obtained)
    • Perfect credit (over 800)
    • Capable of putting 20% down on a property but within the budget of typical HDFC properties ($500k or less).