Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike Gorius
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Cash out Refi vs. HELOC

Mike Gorius
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted Jul 21 2022, 12:57

I'm in the process of getting a HELOC with lower.com, and the rep gave me an interesting option that I am trying to poke holes in (devil's advocate), but I am having trouble doing so. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Option 1: HELOC with lower for 50K. Ten-year term, interest only prime +1 monthly payment. Of course, whatever I have pulled out needs to be paid back in full at the end of the 10-year term. We initially thought this process would take 30 days, now saying 120 days for several reasons, and most banks are in a similar situation. My current mortgage lender said it would take more than 30 but less than 120, and yes, there is a delay.

Option 2: He told me about this earlier today. Due to living in Phoenix, my house has increased significantly, and we made some updates, and I could do a cash-out refi. Currently, my mortgage shows the home is worth 320K with a 3.25% rate paying $1,450 PITI. Last week my house was appraised for 435K. He said they could do an 80% cash-out refi at 6.1% and drop my PITI to $1,330 while giving me the 20% to invest. This was my goal with the HELOC.

This seems too good to be true. Any thoughts? I'm not sure how he is getting $1,330 PITI because when I run the numbers, the payment should be $2,100. I plan to ask him this next time we talk.

I like this because my monthly payment would decrease (if the math checks out), and I plan to turn this home into a rental in the next 1-2 years anywhere. This is not my forever home; it's business. I would also have more money to invest.

I don't like this because it seems too good to be true; my rate increases, and I just refinanced in September 2021 to get to 3.25%. This is after buying the home in November 2020. 2 refinances in 2 years seems like a lot, lol.

Thanks y'all,

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 21 2022, 13:31

Hi @Mike Gorius, that is some really funny math.

Assuming a 30-year term, the principal + interest portion of the cash-out refinance would be well over $1,330. Maybe we are both missing something.

The only way I could think of that is interest only or negative amortization or something like that.

I would offer an alternative solution. Get a HELOAN. Assuming you did an 80% LTV loan in September, you would have approximately $250k left on your mortgage.

Doing it at 80% gives you $98k back and your blended rate is now 4.87%. Basically 1.25% lower than the cash-out refinance.

I think this option would be better for your scenario because HELOCs are generally best for deploying as short-term capital.

HELOANs act as a 30-year, fixed-rate, fully amortizing the second lien so they are perfect for deploying into a long-term asset like real estate.

If you plan to use the funds for a rehab or a flip where you will pay back the HELOC in 6 months, I would recommend that option.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Gorius
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Jul 21 2022, 14:37

@Andrew Garcia - Thanks for your reply.

Yes, he just replied saying there was a calculator typo and the payment will be $2,200.......so that's out.

I had not heard of a HELOAN, but will look into this as it is enticing!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 21 2022, 15:56
Quote from @Mike Gorius:

@Andrew Garcia - Thanks for your reply.

Yes, he just replied saying there was a calculator typo and the payment will be $2,200.......so that's out.

I had not heard of a HELOAN, but will look into this as it is enticing!

@Mike Gorius That sounds much more like it. If you want a referral to a lender that can do HELOANs, feel free to connect.