Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Diana Serban
Votes |
Seller financing & subject to strategy?

Diana Serban
Posted

I'm trying to grow my portfolio but don't have any money for a down payment nor the ability to get a mortgage since I'm self employed. I have a few questions about seller financing and/or subject to in Canada. 

1. Would it be beneficial to get a real estate agent involved in this?

2. Can I look at the MLS for OK deals or would it be better to go off market?

3. Would paying the purchase price (or a bit under) be fine, or should I negotiate it to something a lot lower?

4. If the deal is off market, would birddogs be a good idea? I don't know any in the Montreal area however.

5. If I end up paying a small down payment to the seller and renovation costs, could I use a loan from a private lender or would that set me back by a lot? I could find a partner too but it would take me longer than I'd like to. 

6. What are the exit strategies here? I'm assuming I can't refinance if I use creative financing, so how do I pay back the private lender loan fast if I use that path?

7. How much interest should I pay the seller on a seller financing?

8. I also want to confirm that there are usually little to no closing conditions if I use creative financing. I might be able to still inspect the property, but that's pretty much it. 

Thank you for your help! If there's any ideas or issues you can think of, I'd love to hear them as well