I am closing a seller financing deal but am confused with how monthly payments are split up between principal and interest. How do I determine how much principal is owed at the 10 year mark for the balloon payment? I have looked at amortization tables but the payments seem to be almost 75% interest in the first 10 years. Is there a good way to structure the agreement?
The terms are below:
Sale Price: $230,000
- Down Payment: $5,000
- Loan Amount: $225,000
- Interest Rate: 3.75%
- Loan Term: 40 years (480 months)
- Interest-only for the first 1.5 years
-Year 10 ballon payment due: X (Refi Loan with bank)
The answer is $200,619.29. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
The answer is $200,619.29. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
The answer is $264,616.16. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
I am closing a seller financing deal but am confused with how monthly payments are split up between principal and interest. How do I determine how much principal is owed at the 10 year mark for the balloon payment? I have looked at amortization tables but the payments seem to be almost 75% interest in the first 10 years. Is there a good way to structure the agreement?
The terms are below:
Sale Price: $230,000
- Down Payment: $5,000
- Loan Amount: $225,000
- Interest Rate: 3.75%
- Loan Term: 40 years (480 months)
- Interest-only for the first 1.5 years
-Year 10 ballon payment due: X (Refi Loan with bank)
The first 1/3 of term will be primarily interest. When you have a 40 year term, even though the interest rate is low, your monthly payment is going to be very low which of course most of it goes to interest. Questions I have regarding this are what is the approx. value of the property. Typically with seller finance you get deal on price or terms. This one you are getting very good terms, so curious what the actual value is.
I am closing a seller financing deal but am confused with how monthly payments are split up between principal and interest. How do I determine how much principal is owed at the 10 year mark for the balloon payment? I have looked at amortization tables but the payments seem to be almost 75% interest in the first 10 years. Is there a good way to structure the agreement?
The terms are below:
Sale Price: $230,000
- Down Payment: $5,000
- Loan Amount: $225,000
- Interest Rate: 3.75%
- Loan Term: 40 years (480 months)
- Interest-only for the first 1.5 years
-Year 10 ballon payment due: X (Refi Loan with bank)
The first 1/3 of term will be primarily interest. When you have a 40 year term, even though the interest rate is low, your monthly payment is going to be very low which of course most of it goes to interest. Questions I have regarding this are what is the approx. value of the property. Typically with seller finance you get deal on price or terms. This one you are getting very good terms, so curious what the actual value is.
I am closing a seller financing deal but am confused with how monthly payments are split up between principal and interest. How do I determine how much principal is owed at the 10 year mark for the balloon payment? I have looked at amortization tables but the payments seem to be almost 75% interest in the first 10 years. Is there a good way to structure the agreement?
The terms are below:
Sale Price: $230,000
- Down Payment: $5,000
- Loan Amount: $225,000
- Interest Rate: 3.75%
- Loan Term: 40 years (480 months)
- Interest-only for the first 1.5 years
-Year 10 ballon payment due: X (Refi Loan with bank)
The first 1/3 of term will be primarily interest. When you have a 40 year term, even though the interest rate is low, your monthly payment is going to be very low which of course most of it goes to interest. Questions I have regarding this are what is the approx. value of the property. Typically with seller finance you get deal on price or terms. This one you are getting very good terms, so curious what the actual value is.
I would get an appraisal done on the property as well, zillow values are typically worthless. My house is off by $300,000 in one direction and my neighbors is $300,000 in the other.
I am closing a seller financing deal but am confused with how monthly payments are split up between principal and interest. How do I determine how much principal is owed at the 10 year mark for the balloon payment? I have looked at amortization tables but the payments seem to be almost 75% interest in the first 10 years. Is there a good way to structure the agreement?
The terms are below:
Sale Price: $230,000
- Down Payment: $5,000
- Loan Amount: $225,000
- Interest Rate: 3.75%
- Loan Term: 40 years (480 months)
- Interest-only for the first 1.5 years
-Year 10 ballon payment due: X (Refi Loan with bank)
The first 1/3 of term will be primarily interest. When you have a 40 year term, even though the interest rate is low, your monthly payment is going to be very low which of course most of it goes to interest. Questions I have regarding this are what is the approx. value of the property. Typically with seller finance you get deal on price or terms. This one you are getting very good terms, so curious what the actual value is.
I would get an appraisal done on the property as well, zillow values are typically worthless. My house is off by $300,000 in one direction and my neighbors is $300,000 in the other.
I agree Zillow estimate is not the end all be all but I am not as concerned with the exact value. I am focused on cash flow and I own a property close by and am familiar with the area.
I am closing a seller financing deal but am confused with how monthly payments are split up between principal and interest. How do I determine how much principal is owed at the 10 year mark for the balloon payment? I have looked at amortization tables but the payments seem to be almost 75% interest in the first 10 years. Is there a good way to structure the agreement?
The terms are below:
Sale Price: $230,000
- Down Payment: $5,000
- Loan Amount: $225,000
- Interest Rate: 3.75%
- Loan Term: 40 years (480 months)
- Interest-only for the first 1.5 years
-Year 10 ballon payment due: X (Refi Loan with bank)
The first 1/3 of term will be primarily interest. When you have a 40 year term, even though the interest rate is low, your monthly payment is going to be very low which of course most of it goes to interest. Questions I have regarding this are what is the approx. value of the property. Typically with seller finance you get deal on price or terms. This one you are getting very good terms, so curious what the actual value is.
I would get an appraisal done on the property as well, zillow values are typically worthless. My house is off by $300,000 in one direction and my neighbors is $300,000 in the other.
I agree Zillow estimate is not the end all be all but I am not as concerned with the exact value. I am focused on cash flow and I own a property close by and am familiar with the area.
I am closing a seller financing deal but am confused with how monthly payments are split up between principal and interest. How do I determine how much principal is owed at the 10 year mark for the balloon payment? I have looked at amortization tables but the payments seem to be almost 75% interest in the first 10 years. Is there a good way to structure the agreement?
The terms are below:
Sale Price: $230,000
- Down Payment: $5,000
- Loan Amount: $225,000
- Interest Rate: 3.75%
- Loan Term: 40 years (480 months)
- Interest-only for the first 1.5 years
-Year 10 ballon payment due: X (Refi Loan with bank)
The first 1/3 of term will be primarily interest. When you have a 40 year term, even though the interest rate is low, your monthly payment is going to be very low which of course most of it goes to interest. Questions I have regarding this are what is the approx. value of the property. Typically with seller finance you get deal on price or terms. This one you are getting very good terms, so curious what the actual value is.
I would get an appraisal done on the property as well, zillow values are typically worthless. My house is off by $300,000 in one direction and my neighbors is $300,000 in the other.
I agree Zillow estimate is not the end all be all but I am not as concerned with the exact value. I am focused on cash flow and I own a property close by and am familiar with the area.
I have looked at comparable properties, I own a similar property very close by, I have consulted with real estate professionals, and done my due diligence. I am comfortable with the price the seller is asking and it allows me to cash flow. I do not feel the need to pay for an appraiser.
The answer is $264,616.16. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
It's pretty much one in the same. You want an attorney that is accustomed to working with lenders and doesn't have to go pull their law books to research how to write a note and mortgage. Creditor Rights defends banks in foreclore/loan related cases. A real estate attorney does title, etc. Often times they do both. Just make sure they've written loan docs and what they charge to do it.
The answer is $264,616.16. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
It's pretty much one in the same. You want an attorney that is accustomed to working with lenders and doesn't have to go pull their law books to research how to write a note and mortgage. Creditor Rights defends banks in foreclore/loan related cases. A real estate attorney does title, etc. Often times they do both. Just make sure they've written loan docs and what they charge to do it.
I would think the sellers attorney or rep would prep the docs and you would review and approve its not common for the buyer to prep the docs as there is a huge conflict of interest there.
Just like when i am doing a HML i would never let my borrower prep the docs .. they pay to have them done but if i dont personally do the docs ( which I do most the time) i want to engage the attorney so they are working for me not the borrower.
The answer is $200,619.29. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
After reading this a second time I am confused by why month 1 for interest and principal payments would be month 19. I plugged the numbers into a TVM calculator and got the following:
Monthly payments after interest only 18 month period- $921.01
Then for the ballon payment I got - $198,873.04

The answer is $200,619.29. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
After reading this a second time I am confused by why month 1 for interest and principal payments would be month 19. I plugged the numbers into a TVM calculator and got the following:
Monthly payments after interest only 18 month period- $921.01
Then for the ballon payment I got - $198,873.04

The answer is $200,619.29. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
After reading this a second time I am confused by why month 1 for interest and principal payments would be month 19. I plugged the numbers into a TVM calculator and got the following:
Monthly payments after interest only 18 month period- $921.01
Then for the ballon payment I got - $198,873.04

The answer is $200,619.29. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
After reading this a second time I am confused by why month 1 for interest and principal payments would be month 19. I plugged the numbers into a TVM calculator and got the following:
Monthly payments after interest only 18 month period- $921.01
Then for the ballon payment I got - $198,873.04

The answer is $200,619.29. Get yourself an amortization schedule. Use the loan amount and interest rate you mentioned, but subtract off 18 months from 480 months to account for your interest only period. Run that schedule. Then take your 10 year balloon amount and subtract 18 months from that to get 102 months. Look at the balance due after that payment. That's how you figure out the balloon payment.
Your first 18 months will simply be ($225,000 X 3.75%)/12. Then go to your amortization schedule and month one on that will be month 19 on your pay schedule for the next 462 months (just adding 18 to the number on the amortization schedule.
Yes, most of the interest will be stacked in the beginning as the balance is much, much higher at that point. In a simple interest amortization, they are paying interest each month on the amount still owed, so the principal part will gradually increase and snowball as the debt is paid down.
As to structure, have a good creditor rights attorney draft it...not just anyone, but someone with experience working with and for lenders.
Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any clarification. Doug
After reading this a second time I am confused by why month 1 for interest and principal payments would be month 19. I plugged the numbers into a TVM calculator and got the following:
Monthly payments after interest only 18 month period- $921.01
Then for the ballon payment I got - $198,873.04

You can run this on a amortization calculator. Plug in all the numbers and it will tell you exactly what the balance is when you are at your balloon. You are going to have to run it with a 1.5 year delay for the interest only.