What I need to know about an ASSUMABLE MORTGAGE!

What I need to know about an ASSUMABLE MORTGAGE!

Ann CoveyPro Member
Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 9 votes

In looking for my next investment I came across a property in Florida that has an Assumable Mortgage. Now while I am aware of what this means I am curious what the real scoop on these are. Pros vs. Cons and what did you wish someone had told you before you got involved in one? In my research it sounds like the note gets placed in my companies name, what about deed? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, rates for property management in Fl.

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

@Ann Covey Not sure about the "closing in your company's name" part. Almost all assumable loans are FHA or VA loans, which I believe have to be closed in your own name.

Definitely check on that with the seller's bank and their process for assuming the loan.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · FL · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    Assumable mortgages in this market, other than a potentially longer close, don't really have many cons.

    You work with the seller's bank, who is currently holding the loan.  They go through their underwriting process and approval, which as I mentioned may be slower than applying for a new loan.  I currently have a listing where the sellers are marketing an assumable mortgage.  Their loan is through UWM and have confirmed that it may take closer to 45 days to close.

    Otherwise, the sale closes with the note as well as the deed in your company's name.  At closing there is no difference from a traditional sale/purchase.

  • Ann CoveyPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    I assume the bank looks at the property and income towards the debt to income ratio as well? Probably a better banker question. 

  • Ann CoveyPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    Also, I have read something about a bigger down payment, but wondering how this works if I were to assume the existing loan? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Ann Covey Not sure about the "closing in your company's name" part. Almost all assumable loans are FHA or VA loans, which I believe have to be closed in your own name.

    Definitely check on that with the seller's bank and their process for assuming the loan.

  • Ann CoveyPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    Great point @Tom S., ty!

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Ann Covey

    You will still need to qualify for the loan - meaning they will underwrite you to make sure you can afford the payments

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    2y

    @Ann Covey depends on if you do simple assumption, where the loan stays in seller's name or if you are doing fill assumption and replacing the owner on the loan Note.

    If you do a simple assumption, how will you receive all the lender notices and access online account?

    How attractive is the interest rate? 

  • Realtor · FL · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 24 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tom S.:

    @Ann Covey Not sure about the "closing in your company's name" part. Almost all assumable loans are FHA or VA loans, which I believe have to be closed in your own name.

    Definitely check on that with the seller's bank and their process for assuming the loan.


     Great point!  I don't see any reason she couldn't put it in a trust though, right?

  • Realtor · FL · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 24 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ann Covey:

    I assume the bank looks at the property and income towards the debt to income ratio as well? Probably a better banker question. 


    I think someone else may have replied to this already, but yes DTI is considered. The process is underwritten in the same way that a normal mortgage would be. Also, the larger down payment can be the case depending on the remaining mortgage balance vs. the sales price. Say you are assuming a mortgage on a property that has $250k remaining balance, but the seller is asking and you've agreed to pay $300k. The $50,000 gap would be your down payment.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    A few things about an assumable mortgage; As you know, in a high interest rate environment, assuming a loan at a lower rate is great for saving on your monthly payments. However, keep in mind that the difference between the sale price and the loan amount must be brought to the table by you. Thus, if you want to avoid a substantial down payment, a loan assumption will only work when assuming loans from sellers with a high LTV. Also, most loan assumptions are available only for government-insured/guaranteed loans (FHA, VA, etc.), so keep that in mind when shopping around.

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kelly Boulton:
    Quote from @Tom S.:

    @Ann Covey Not sure about the "closing in your company's name" part. Almost all assumable loans are FHA or VA loans, which I believe have to be closed in your own name.

    Definitely check on that with the seller's bank and their process for assuming the loan.


     Great point!  I don't see any reason she couldn't put it in a trust though, right?

     @Kelly Boulton I would assume she could put it in a trust at or after closing, but of course she would have to check with the lender.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.