Options to Buy Out Co-Owners with Private Financing
Hi all—
I co-own an LTR with my parents, the property was purchased in 2022 for $240k and is currently assessed at ~$350k. The current loan balance is about $190k and is financed at 7.825%. The payment including insurance and property taxes is about $1700/month and the house is currently cash flowing about $200/month. When we purchased this property we were banking on interest rates coming down (RIP) to make a long-term venture worth the effort.
We've been discussing options to make this property more financial beneficial to all parties (e.g., my wife and I and my parents) and have been discussing a private loan wherein my parents would pay off the balance of the loan and then finance the property to my wife and I at a lower interest rate (4.75-5.25% for 20-30 years). My parents are approaching retirement age and this would set them up a secure source of recurring income and would set my wife and I up for stronger cash flow than we're getting now.
The current ownership is split about 40/60—this was how the down payment was split. So, I'm trying to figure out how the financing on this would work, because although there is only $190 on the loan, my parents are entitled to 60% of the total value of the sell price (appr. $210k).
Can anyone help me understand better how we would structure this arrangement? Would my parents pay off the $190k loan and we would open a private loan with them for $210k? Having a hard time wrapping my head around all the moving parts here.
Thanks so much!