Experience with Profit-Based or Interest-Free Real Estate Financing?

Experience with Profit-Based or Interest-Free Real Estate Financing?

Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone,

I’ve been listening to the Bigger Pockets podcast for about 6 months now and have saved around $20K. I’m using this time to learn, build better money habits, and continue saving. My goal is to buy a duplex in the Austin area or a nearby city and house hack — live in one unit and rent out the other.

Ideally, I’d like to save up 20% down and use a 15-year loan, since I really dislike debt. At my current pace, I’ll likely hit that goal in 2–3 years.

I’m torn between two approaches:

  1. Keep saving over the next couple of years, get to 20%, avoid PMI, and be in a stronger financial position.

  2. Jump in sooner (maybe next year), put less down, and start gaining experience and appreciation sooner — even if it means PMI or a 30-year loan.

For context:

  • I’m in the Austin area, so prices are still pretty high but decreasing.

  • I’m okay with some light DIY or value-add work (I’ve done a bit of construction/repair work before). And I work for a commercial GC where I can get some help.

  • My long-term goal is to build a small portfolio of cash-flowing rentals fully paid off (15-year loans), starting with house hacks. 

Would love to hear from those who started in similar situations — did you wish you’d waited to save more, or do you think getting into the market earlier made all the difference?

(Shoutout to Ashley & Tony!)

0Reply
36 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.