Advice on DSCR financing for pair of 6-plexes

Advice on DSCR financing for pair of 6-plexes

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes

I'm under contract on a $1.05m pair of 6-plexes in great shape with gross rents at $10,320/month. I'm working with a broker who assured me that he could find a 30-year fixed rate DSCR loan at 20% down and around 7% interest. His business is in those loans for small multifamily, but evidently things change between 5 units and 6 units. None of his existing lenders will lend at those terms for 6-plexes. The downpayments go from requiring 20% down to 25% down and the rates go from around 7% to around 8%. Many lenders won't even lend to 6-plexes because the price per unit is too small for them, and the ones that do won't bundle closing costs, so closing costs can be well over 4%.

We thought we found a lender that would get close to the terms I'm looking for (20% down, just over 7% interest, though still 2 loans). It's someone the broker hadn't worked with before. Evidently there's a reason: the lender has been hard to communicate with all along and hasn't been responding for a few days even with closing fast approaching. I'm worried that lender isn't going to come through.

I'm reaching out here for advice, and to see if anyone knows any lenders that do 25- or 30-year fixed rate DSCRs for 20% down on 6-plexes?

The next step after this post is going to be to propose that the seller carry 5% on an accelerated schedule, but I don't know what their appetite will be for that.

If none of that works, I'm afraid I'm going to have to walk away from the deal. The numbers just don't work at 25% down/8% interest/4% closing costs.

0Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason WrayPro Member
Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9mo

Lucas,

Check out my profile and send me an email there is a solution for your 6 units.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason WrayPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Lucas,

    Check out my profile and send me an email there is a solution for your 6 units.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9mo

    only ones we know also are 25% down for 5+ units.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Lucas Sabalka:

    I'm under contract on a $1.05m pair of 6-plexes in great shape with gross rents at $10,320/month. I'm working with a broker who assured me that he could find a 30-year fixed rate DSCR loan at 20% down and around 7% interest. His business is in those loans for small multifamily, but evidently things change between 5 units and 6 units. None of his existing lenders will lend at those terms for 6-plexes. The downpayments go from requiring 20% down to 25% down and the rates go from around 7% to around 8%. Many lenders won't even lend to 6-plexes because the price per unit is too small for them, and the ones that do won't bundle closing costs, so closing costs can be well over 4%.

    We thought we found a lender that would get close to the terms I'm looking for (20% down, just over 7% interest, though still 2 loans). It's someone the broker hadn't worked with before. Evidently there's a reason: the lender has been hard to communicate with all along and hasn't been responding for a few days even with closing fast approaching. I'm worried that lender isn't going to come through.

    I'm reaching out here for advice, and to see if anyone knows any lenders that do 25- or 30-year fixed rate DSCRs for 20% down on 6-plexes?

    The next step after this post is going to be to propose that the seller carry 5% on an accelerated schedule, but I don't know what their appetite will be for that.

    If none of that works, I'm afraid I'm going to have to walk away from the deal. The numbers just don't work at 25% down/8% interest/4% closing costs.


    Most lenders are going to require a minimum of 25-35% down on Multifamily 5+ depending on the DSCR, experience, and credit.

    The LOWEST i've seen on your typical 30 year fixed is in the mid 7s at par. You can buy it down if it makes sense for the deal. 

    If you are looking at traditional full doc commercial, you will probably be in the 6s on a 5-10 year fixed term only, 25 or 30 year amortization with a balloon or ARM at the end.

    Maybe it might make sense to structure this as an Interest-only loan? 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    You can also structure a seller 2nd and put 10% down minimum. Rate might be higher though. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    9mo

    @Lucas Sabalka i've only seen lenders offering 25% down on 5+ units. Rates start at 6.5% on a 30 year fixed. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.