Beginner question

3 Replies

When I start to hold properties I have a basic question.If I am getting leads that are off market and getting them at 70% arv - repairs shouldn't that count towards my down payment? 

If I use a HML to restore the property and am left with 30 % equity shouldn't that be enough to refi to a traditional investment mortgage? I do have a mortgage guy I will be meeting with shortly I just don't want to come across uneducated.

That used to be the case. Loans used to be based on the appraised value and if you were buying below 80% loan to value (LTV) no down payment needed. Thanks to our all knowing government, loans are based on the purchase price. So, even if you are buying at 50% LTV, the bank wants 20% down for the loan. I hope that was helpful.

Hey @Ryan Dossey ,

"If I use a HML to restore the property and am left with 30% equity shouldn't that be enough to refi to a traditional investment mortgage?"

That does seem about right.

One thing you will want to be careful about in that strategy is the appraiser lottery. I have a duplex that we took through this exact process and in california appraisers are assigned in a blind pool. I'm actually quite sure she was drunk. She even got the rent amounts wrong ($300/month under). Her appraisal was about 5% over our purchase price a year before when the market has gone up over 30%. We contested as did the bank to no avail.

Not only could you end up with a crummy appraiser, but typically the appraisals come in lower on a refi than on a sale, since they don't have a solid buyer to define a price. They depend on historical comps, and based upon the state of the market, foreclosures and other factors, you may get a surprise. Just a note of caution based upon a recent experience.

@Shane Pearlman I appreciate you bringing that possibility to my attention. That is not something I had considered. I guess if I am buying right and I run into a situation like that I could always flip the property as an exit strategy. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.