Are there still 80/15/5 loans in 2015?

4 Replies

Here in Jersey most nice homes in good neighborhoods start around $400k.  Money is just so cheap right now and the market is treating me so well I'd rather not dump all my cash into a down payment.  $20k down on a nice house and $2700 a month with taxes is no problem, we currently rent for $2400 and this move would be reducing commuter costs by about $300 a month.  So I'm wondering if a first time home buyer, with excellent credit, almost no debt and a household income between $120-$140k could get an 80/15/5 or am I stuck with the 80/10/10?

why don't you do FHA and 3% down? 80/17/3?

Then I'm stuck paying PMI.. Most of what I've seen the FHA loans are NOT the way to go if you can avoid them.

yes, 80/10/10 exists now for your area. There's a specific product out there with a 1st and a heloc, with 10% down of your own funds. This way you eliminate PMI as you mentioned and reduce your downpayment. You'll still have to impound your taxes and insurance, however. But you'll save a ton of MI on a $400,000 home.

There are no 80/15/5 programs that I'm aware of. Maybe more will chime in.

It looks like I might be able to roll closing costs into my mortgage if I can't get the seller to cover most of them.  So I don't think I need quite as much money up front as I thought.  Now I just need to figure out how much cash reserves I'm expected to have.  Its amazing the amount of Cash needed upfront to purchase a home here in Jersey.  On a $300k NJ starter home you're talking $30k down, $10k cash reserves and probably $6k closing..   And thats just 10% down.  No wonder why I've rented for so long.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.