Advise for possible Hard Money Lender

1 Reply

I am currently part of an LLC in which we all bought a house in order to flip it. The flip did not go well and now we are going to hold it as rental investment. Unfortunately, the mortgage is at 11% APR via a hard money lender and we want to refinance to a lower APR. I have offered the group that I can refinance the home in my name and lend them (the LLC, that I'm also a part of) the money at 8% APR. Can I do this and if so what do I need to do to establish this contractual agreement? How I do I run the numbers to see if this is a good deal for me?

You can typically refinance investment property at about 4.3 to 4.8%. There's plenty of room in your 8% offer to make money on the spread. That's a no brainer. 

You would have to document this separately from the properties recorded documents. You would have to simply create a finance agreement and a promissory note for each partner. You're protected already by your name being on the deeds when you refinance. Additionally a signed and notarized promissory note will give you leverage to collect if necessary. 

You can look into a wrap mortgage (all inclusive trust deed); or you can simply put the property into a land trust after you refinance with the equity of each partner spelled out in the trust. 

lots of options. Hopefully more people chime in.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.