• Tewksbury, MA
Votes |
Sub 2 Deal in a Title Theory State.

Rich Hupper
  • Broker / Investor
  • Tewksbury, MA
Posted Jan 21 2016, 20:35

Hi Biggerpockets

I am trying to better understand the concept of title and the bundle of rights that come with real property.

Lets say we have a sub 2 deal in a title theory state. The owner of the property is highly motivated to sell, tired of dealing with his tenants, heading to foreclosure and looking for debt relief. You offer to start paying his debt and bring his loan current in exchange for a deed. 

Please excuse me if I am wrong here, however in a title theory state the mortgagee / lender holds legal title on that deed and the borrow / current owner holds equitable title on the deed. I am trying to figure out when a sub 2 deal is executed, is the equitable title of the Mortgagor/borrower transferred to the sub 2 buyer? And legal title stays with the mortgagee? If this is true.....

I thought equitable and legal title are one in the same whole,  shared between the mortgagor and mortgagee.

Also in a sub 2 deal a buyer pays a homeowners payments in exchange for a deed, however does that deed convey all the rights and covenants of a warranty or special warranty deed? What kind of deed is used in this transaction? Just how many rights and covenants can an owner who has a mortgage on his property convey to a new buyer without first settling the debt he has with the mortgagee?

It seems the Sub 2 buyer is acquiring a heavily clouded title that has limited rights because most of them are tied up mortgage contract between the mortgagor and mortgagee. 

In crafting a purchase and sale agreement for one of these deals, there must be very specific language to address how title is being conveyed. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Thank you

Loading replies...