Refinance rental property- should I roll in my student loan?

Refinance rental property- should I roll in my student loan?

Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
In 2009 I purchased a single family in Vallejo, CA for $170,000 at 6%. I am currently renting the home out for $1900. I will be refinancing the loan- current comps $280,000 so LTV is not an issue as I owe less than $140k. Should I roll my outstanding $30k student loan into this? I'm currently paying 2.5% on it.
0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
10y

Extending the term on that $30k from whatever it is to 30 years will result in lower monthly payments on that $30k, but I'd rather keep that 2.5% interest rate myself, assuming I could comfortably afford it.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Extending the term on that $30k from whatever it is to 30 years will result in lower monthly payments on that $30k, but I'd rather keep that 2.5% interest rate myself, assuming I could comfortably afford it.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Livermore, CA · Member since 2010 · 140 posts · 28 votes
    10y

     Allowing the rents to pay off the education debt sounds like a great idea to me. I would make the effort to pay down the new loan as much as possible so that equity remains available for the next deal. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    It depends. You will be paying a higher interest rate for the money if you do. You will be mixing real and your personal finance too for tax purposes.  On the other hand if you have a large monthly  payment on the student loan and that inhibits your ability to purchase other properties then it might make sense.  It is about the numbers.  I would not do it if it is just more convenient.

  • Real Estate Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 45 votes
    10y
    Amelia Moore I would not touch the student loan debt for three reasons 1) It's at 2.5% and that is better than most mortgages 2) When you refi, you will have to take cash out and this will have a negative effect on the pricing of your loan. Cash outs take pricing hits. 3) It is not a good idea to use secured debt (mortgage) to pay off unsecured debt (student loans). Hope this helps! -David
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    There ya go, @Amelia Moore, two folks that get paid when people refinance just told you not to refinance. I think you have your answer. :P

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.