FHA 203k on unattached multifamily property

FHA 203k on unattached multifamily property

Investor · Centennial, CO · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote

In the middle of my first multifamily purchase, we decided to go for the owner occupied 2-4 unit multifamily for all the common reasons Im sure you hear about all the time. I ended up finding a 3 unit property here in Manitou springs that needed a lot of TLC due to past abuse and differed maintenance. The property is zoned R5 with a main 3br house and in the back has 2 individual detached cottages, they are all the same address just "A, B, and C" units. The Manitou area is expensive for me but I was confident in my numbers so I thought no problem I will do the FHA 203k and fix it up because I know all I would have to put down would be 3.5% (I offered 5%) so I made an offer and got it under contract.

Now here we are in the home stretch to closing and the deal is about to fall apart, my mortgage agent just told me that no lender will do an FHA 203k mortgage on this property with less than 25% down because the units are not attached together.  I have been all over every scrap of info I can find on the internet about the 203k and I cant find this rule anywhere.

Has anyone ever heard of this 'rule' or done a deal on a property like this one?  It feels like theyre making this **** up.  Any help or advice anyone anywhere could give me would be beyond appreciated.

0Reply
15 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    @Anthony Lucent I'll have to generalize a little here but the likely reason they can't lend on that property is that there aren't any comps that have 3 separate properties. A triplex is a different property type than a 3 building property so even if there are tri-plex properties in that area those would not be considered valid comparables to a 3 seperate building property in a FHA setting. That is likely what is occuring here. Feel free to ask more questions if you need. Thanks!

  • Investor · Centennial, CO · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Account Closed please PM me your info.  I would love to talk about it with you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 73 votes
    8y

    @Anthony Lucent I'm curious to hear how this turned out? 

    Also, I would be interested in what you've learned about unattached multifamily properties. I haven't been able to find much on them. I ask as I might build one as a lot I purchased isn't wide enough from a zoning perspective to be subdivided for two single family homes (it is 75 feet wide and zoning requires 50 feet width per lot). Although I am pushing to see if I can get a variance. If that doesn't work out, I was thinking of asking about building an unattached multifamily property. I could just build a standard duplex/townhome, but my preference is for the homes to be separate if possible.

    Thanks,

    Michael

  • Investor · Centennial, CO · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Sure Michael! I ended up buying the property and rehabbing it. It was our first real deal and a mammoth undertaking. I should make a deal diary one day. For financing I ended up finding Farmers State Bank out in Calhan/Falcon that would offer us a mortgage and rehabilitation loan in one like the FHA 203k on the property at a higher interest rate than the FHA .

  • Real Estate Agent · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 73 votes
    8y

    Glad it worked out and congratulations on making the deal work!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.