Rollover from Employer 401k to Solok.. and more

Rollover from Employer 401k to Solok.. and more

Rental Property Investor · North Smithfield, RI · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 5 votes

Hi! I’m currently working full time (on W2) and have money in my employer 401k. I found another full time job and will have 10 days in between the two jobs. I am planning to roll over the 401k into a Solok, but have a few questions :

1. After rolling over the money, can I make additional contributions to my SoloK going forward (every year), even though I’ll be a W2 employee? Or is this a one time deal and I should max out my 401k before I rollover?

2. My wife has a SoloK as well. Can we combine/partner the two SoloK’s and purchase a property?

3. We will probably have 40-50% of the down payment with our SoloK’s combined. If the answer to #2 is a yes, then can we take a loan to make the purchase under our SoloK’s? Would the loan be in both of our names or can it be just one of us? 

4. Can I go to local banks/credit unions/lenders for the loan on a SoloK property, or do I need to work with specific banks/lenders?

Thanks!

0Reply
16 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Sahil K.

    1. Yes you can make contributions to the solo 401k while also participating in your day-time employer's 401k provided you have net self-employment income. What is more, the employee contributions are aggregated between all 401k plans but the profit sharing contribution are not. See following for more on this. 

    https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/how-much-salary-can-you-defer-if-youre-eligible-for-more-than-one-retirement-plan

    2. Yes the rules allow for investing multiple solo 401k plans in the same property. This can be done through a tenancy- in -common transaction or by pooling both solo 401k plans in a LLC. You will want to work with competent professional who can navigate you through these rules.

    3. Yes both solo 401k plans can obtain non-recourse loans. See following for more on this.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/3441/51027-nonrecourse-loan-debt-for-self-directed-solo-401k-investment

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Sahil,

    You can only rollover your employer 401k into self-directed Solo 401k if you are eligible for it: have legitimate self-employment activity or small business (can be on the side), and don't have any full time employees working for you. If you don't meet above criteria you can not setup a Solo 401k plan.

    You can use leverage when buying investment property in your retirement account, however because you are considered to be a 'disqualified person' you are not allowed to provide personal guarantee - therefore the loan must be non-recourse. Here is a list of lenders offering such financing to retirement accounts:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/2810/50272-lis...

  • Rental Property Investor · North Smithfield, RI · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thank you @George Blower and @Dmitriy Fomichenko! A quick follow up question on this - I do have a small consulting / freelancing gig on the side and will be a 1099 income, but it will probably be less than $2K for this year. Am I still eligible to rollover $50K and make future contributions that are greater than my annual 1099 income?

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Sahil, you need to maintain legitimate self-employment activity in order to maintain your plan. If you expect to continue this gig beyond this year and grow your income - you should be in good shape. If not - then you should go the self-directed IRA route.

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Sahil K.

    Your consulting activity, if ongoing, does make you eligible for a Solo 401k plan. This means you could setup the plan and rollover your $50k from existing retirement accounts. You'll also be able to make contributions to the plan but those contributions will be limited to your 1099 income.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Smithfield, RI · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thank you!

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
  • Rental Property Investor · North Smithfield, RI · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Thanks! I appreciate you all pitching In. I’m now working on the rollover and reaching out to the different lenders.
  • Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Individuals with their Solo 401k are also available lenders for purchases of properties.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.