Votes
Alex Martin
  • Freeland, MI
Votes |
Seller went MIA, how to proceed?

Alex Martin
  • Freeland, MI
Posted Dec 13 2017, 09:58

I currently have 2 4-plexes under contract. My financing will not be finished until after our scheduled closing date so I went ahead and lined up a hard money lender just in case. Before I finalize with the hard money that I would require them I figured I'd reach out to the seller and just see if they would entertain an extension or if they are set on that closing date. So either way I have  my money all set and I'm good to go with either scenario. 

Now to the good part, the seller has been pretty flaky during much of the process so far; he tried to cancel the contract once after a week into it and after i threatened legal action he settled down and said he would honor the contract. I was worried how he'd react to the extension request but figured if i have other money available anyways I might as well try, conventional financing only is going to be far cheaper. So I had my realtor send out the extension request last Friday, as of today we've not heard anything back since then. He's gone totally radio silent and the closing date without extension is the 16. I'm obviously rooting for the extension but unsure how to proceed if he just never responds with anything. 

Any input on how to handle something like this and what occurs if he just doesn't respond to it? I feel that being so close to the closing date that him no responding should cause the closing date to be pushed back irregardless of whether an extension was signed or not. 

Loading replies...