Can I roll my student loan debt into a commercial loan?

3 Replies

My name is Philip Stanfield. I am a current dental student, and I've been searching online for an answer to the topic of my forum post.

I want to know if it is possible to roll my student loan debt into a loan for a commercial property like an apartment complex?

I've read online that you can roll this debt into a mortgage, it just doesn't say anything about commercial loans. I would search for a value add opportunity to build up the necessary equity to offset the extra debt on the commercial loan.

It's probably just easier to buy a value add apartment and use the profits when i sell the apartment to pay off my student loans afterwards.

I'm not sure which option would be better in this situation. Thank for any and all of your responses! 

@Christian Stanfield   Does your student loans have lower interest than your commercial loan?  I am not 100% certain of this answer but have asked my CPA similar questions, and I believe the answer would be you are not supposed to because technically your student loans are not a writeoff to your business, but in reality it is unlikely you would get caught doing it.  I asked my CPA this question because I wanted to writeoff loan interest from a 401k loan that I used to buy investment property, and they said the loan is in your name, so it's not interest to the business it technically interest in your personal name.

@Christian Stanfield I've had a commercial loan in the past where they paid off a credit card and a car loan. But the key was that I was renovating the place and the ARV (after repair value) was enough to support the payoff and the rehab funds they were providing me. I also put down 25% on the initial purchase. The total loans were small though, I believe $3k for the card and $8k for the car.

So it can be possible..

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.