I own right at 2 dozen rental properties and thought I had creative financing "behind" me as my business has matured and my portfolio loan has grown with it.
We are looking at purchasing a large tract of land. This would not be an investment, per se, but more of a homestead. With a possible very long term investment potential but that is not the intent. The land is in a very rural area and is all "unimproved " farm land. I had looked at it maybe 12 months or so back and the owner was asking $400k which was a bit over what we were looking to spend ($300k).
My primary reason for trying to stick closer to $300k was to minimize the down payment. With raw land of course you are almost always looking at 25% down, and $75k I can manage and not even dip into my comfort level of reserves but that is just about the absolute max. At $100k I am $25k into my "safety net"...and I am very risk averse.
Anyway after seeing the property sit a year I decided to reach back out to the owner (its a FSBO) and have another conversation. He claims he has been offered $350k and turned it down, because he "knows" (rightly so) that his value is right. (Side note - he has done a horrible job marketing the property. Not online anywhere. Just a small for sale (like you would place in a car windshield) sign hung on a fence that is only visible when traveling from 1 direction in a very rural area. There is an active appraisal on the property for $440k that I have seen. Its legit.
So over a cup of coffee this morning he agreed to at least consider a partial owner financing scheme. Where I would pay his $400k asking price and he would finance $100k back to me for 10 years interest free with a 20 year amortization and a balloon at month 121. He would be secured by a second position. In theory this would allow me to buy the land and him to cover my down payment and allow me to keep my cash reserves. Seems like a win-win.
Until....Talked with a lender this afternoon, a specialized farm and agricultural lender, and they wont consider it without me physically paying 25% down at closing. They want the check made out to them or the escrow company and them write the full purchase price amount check to the seller.
I thought about approaching the seller about writing me a check for $100k after the initial closing and doing a second mortgage type arrangement. But that certainly is "messy".
Thanks in advance for any help/ideas/thoughts.
I'm inexperienced compared to you but on my most recent purchase of a SFH, I put down about 6% with owner financing making up about 18% which gave my lender assurance I was personally invested, that there was a lot of room for them to recoup their money and helped me to have a lower DP.
Perhaps a different lender would feel differently than the one you are currently working with?
You say a 'specialized farm and ag lender.' If it was a traditional bank then maybe they would be more open to discussion if you were to leave a large amount of your safety net sitting in an account at their bank for a certain time as a "hedge" against your possible failure while also giving them room to lend more to others (because of the $ they have on deposit)? Maybe that's also possible with this lender?
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing