self directed ira property swap

3 Replies

I own a property in my self directed ira. Could I swap properties with a non-disqualified person? 

@Jordan Wilson

Quite possibly, yes.

So long as the transaction does not create any direct or indirect connection with a disqualified party, exchanging a property for another property instead of cash would not produce any IRS compliance issues for the IRA - in and of itself.

You also need to ensure that as a fiduciary to the IRA, you are acting in the best interests of the IRA. A swap could very well meet that criteria, but with no other details about your deal, I thought it relevant to bring that point up.

You're right @Brian Eastman ! I should have included more details because I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. Another investor gave me the idea & told me I should look into how it could work. Here's some more info:

There is a distressed seller going into foreclosure on a reverse mortgage that I would swap properties with. The seller would have a life estate at my existing property that would come back to the IRA upon death. I don't have enough cash in the IRA to buy the property outright, but I could cover the back due amount to reinstate the loan. I guess that would require a sub-2 or wrap & I would need to be prepared to refinance? That could be messy...

In this arrangement, I would be picking up equity in the swap & I would recoup the other property at a time TBD. The seller would benefit from not losing their property to foreclosure & have their next placed lined up. 

I would prefer to buy the distressed property separate from the IRA, but it was an interesting idea, so I thought I would entertain the possibilities...

@Jordan Wilson

That sounds fine from a compliance viewpoint. The only concern is any debt instrument that may end up being used. It would have to be non-recourse and would expose the IRA to UDFI taxation on leveraged income (which is not generally sifnigicant). The bigger concern is being sure you could pull off non-recourse financing on the property if required to do so.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here