2% Rule under "Financial Info" On Rental Calculator

6 Replies

I was using the "Rental Property Calculator" on the site and I saw something under "Financial Info" that caught my attention. Does anyone know what this 2% Rule is? 

Any help is greatly appreciated guys and gals! Thank you!

I believe it's the same as the 1% rule, but this rule states that you should want to rent the potential property for 2% of it's purchase price.

So if a home cost $100,000, you would want to rent it for $2,000/month

Hard to find in my opinion, so I normally shoot for the 1% rule

@Andrew Postell & @Jake Stuttgen thank you for your feedback. I'm relatively new to RE Investing, so I'm full of questions. Can you clarify the following please?

1. 1%-2% Rule: Purchase Price or Mortgage on the property?

I'm a veteran who's looking to use my benefits to buy a quad in the area (once I ensure I find a good deal), and I will more than likely use a 0% down payment to purchase a property.- In this case, purchase price is the same as the mortgage, but if I were putting 25%-33% on an investment property, than the difference  between the purchase price and mortgage is obviously significantly larger. 

@Moises Ariel Maldonado Mazariegos   I would even go so far as to say 1% of the appraised value.  So, if I buy a property at a really good deal, I still want my rental value to be at 1% of the value.  So if the home was worth $100k, and I buy it for $50k...then I still want to get $1000 per month on the rents.  Your maintenance, taxes, insurance, etc. will all be based on the value of the property and not the purchase price.  So that's why I want 1% rent of the value. 

Also, since you are using a VA loan, on a multi-family unit property, you should ABSOLUTELY be 1% or above. Since there is no downpayment your mortgage costs will be higher since your mortgage balance is higher. VA loan is absolutely a good loan but since your mortgage is higher than most people (just the amount mind you), your rent needs to be able to cover that extra amount type of thing. I hope I am making sense on how I am describing this.

Let us know if you have any other questions.  Thanks!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here