User Stats

Votes
Patrick Fermo
Votes |
Owner Occupied Loans

Patrick Fermo
Posted Apr 22 2019, 14:21

Hello Bigger Pockets World:

I just read something I thought was interesting, and was hoping the brilliant minds on this website could help me sort it out. The following excerpt is from an article describing the rules surrounding qualifying for an FHA loan for a duplex, which as of now is my strategy to enter the REI world:

"After a year of living in the home, you can legally move out and rent the property. There are no laws against doing this. However, unless you own 30% of the property at the time you rent it out, you will not be able to get another loan until you have two years of landlord experience with that home on your taxes. Going this route means you will have to wait 3 years to buy the second property. Most new investors don’t know this going in and find out too late."

So even after that first year of living in the property, and then moving out, I absolutely can not qualify for any other kind of loan for an additional two years? Or does the article mean another FHA loan? I'm confused as to whether this spans across all kinds of financing, conventional loans, portfolio loans, HELOC etc....

Any help or clarification on this would be awesome! Thanks in advance everyone!

Loading replies...