• College Park, MD
Votes |
Bridge Loan / 9 Unit Apartment complex / Creative Finance

Aaron Foster
  • Investor
  • College Park, MD
Posted Jun 20 2019, 09:03

Experience:

I have some experience with commercial loans on multi units; I have (2) houses on one (1) deed and another (3) houses on (1) deed. I own a few other SFH and TH rentals with a handful of flips , lien investments etc.

I'm trying to step my game up and purchase  my first apartment complex while  seeing how creative i can get with the financing. 

The Deal:

I'm doing the @David Greene thing and investing out of state (even if its only 90 min away). I'm hoping to close a 9 unit apt complex in a C+/B- area in West Virginia that was renovated in 17'-18'; The purchase price is. $350,000 at a 15-16% (projected) cap rate with room to expand the net a few ways (storage units, coin laundry, coin laundry detergent dispenser, delete the cable that is included in their rent *never heard of that one*, possibly a soda and candy machine in the laundry area since there is no convenience stores nearby etc); With all of these changes I'm hoping to push it to a 18-19% cap rate. Since it was renovated 17'/18' there was less cashflow for those two years while each unit was updated/renovated. The 1099 shows Net income of $23k with vacancies. Currently fully rented for $65k gross and $55k net (projected). Capital expenditures are minimal with the the recent reno and a property manager told me they'd be easy to rent and may be able to slightly increase them by a few bucks every month. 

Financials:

I have a good relationship with a local credit union that handles a few loans for me along with a LOC . They informed me they'd loan 80% with a 3/1, 5/1 or 7/1 arm with a balloon at 15 years on a 25 yr AM. schedule.  (rates between 6% and 6.75% with .5 point) My monthly expense would be around $2500 and cashflow about the same.

I have the $ for the other 20% + closing but want to keep my up front costs as low as can be then recover my out of pocket from cash-flow (and hopefully increased cash-flow from being creative as mentioned above). 

Here is the idea i have: Have the property appraised and hopefully it'd be higher, have a bridge loan to purchase it at $350k with "cash" then refi for the higher appraised amount. (the bank will loan on the appraised value if i buy the property with cash before hand then refi with them) My monthly expense would be higher but less up front costs. I'm trying to get creative with the financing so there is less out of pocket on the front end. I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thankyou @Joshua Dorkin , @Brandon Turner @David Greene and @Mindy Jensen for the podcasts to help get my creative ideas up and running with their exceptional podcasts and insight.

Loading replies...